History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage,king Edward Vi Grammar School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1904 / 52°11'25"N

Longitude: -1.7077 / 1°42'27"W

OS Eastings: 420077

OS Northings: 254727

OS Grid: SP200547

Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.M2J

Mapcode Global: VHBY0.C61N

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage,king Edward Vi Grammar School

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 4 April 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1204583

English Heritage Legacy ID: 366200

Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Stratford-upon-Avon

Listing Text


STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW CHURCH STREET
604-1/10/50 (South East side)
25/10/51 The Old Vicarage, King Edward VI
Grammar School
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH STREET
(East side)
King Edward VI Grammar School; The
Old Vicarage; The Pedagogue's House)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Guildhall (part) CHURCH STREET.
Vicarage, now headmaster's house. 1702 with later alterations.
By Francis Smith. Brick; tile roof with brick end stacks.
Double-depth plan. Georgian style. 2 storeys with attic;
5-window range. Platt band over ground floor and top cornice.
Round-headed entrance to left of centre has doorcase with
panelled pilasters and bracketed open pediment, fanlight with
radial glazing bars over 6-fielded-panel door. Windows have
rubbed brick flat arches over cross-casements, most with
leaded glazing; left end has later canted bay window with
hipped slate roof and similar smaller 1st-floor bay,
12:16:12-pane sashes to ground floor, 4:16:4-pane sashes to
1st floor; attic has 4 irregularly spaced hipped dormers with
2-light small-paned casements. Rear has 2 gabled wings with
stucco, narrow right end under catslide roof has end stack.
INTERIOR noted as having some panelling and staircase with
turned balusters. Part of the group of buildings used by the
King Edward VI Grammar School.
(Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and
Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 26).


Listing NGR: SP2011354695

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.