This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1907 / 52°11'26"N
Longitude: -1.7081 / 1°42'29"W
OS Eastings: 420051
OS Northings: 254762
OS Grid: SP200547
Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.LYV
Mapcode Global: VHBY0.B6VF
Plus Code: 9C4W57RR+7Q
Entry Name: The Falcon Hotel
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1187771
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366172
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon
Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP2054NW CHAPEL STREET
604-1/10/28 (North West side)
25/10/51 Nos.1, 2 AND 3
The Falcon Hotel
Town house now hotel. c1500; 2nd floor added c1645; C20
restorations. Timber-frame and plaster and later brick on
coursed rubble plinth; tile roof with original central brick
stack with rebuilt diagonal square shafts and end stacks.
3 storeys; 7-window range. Upper storeys jettied on joist
ends. Tudor-headed entrance to left of centre has tiled
pentice and paired battened doors; right end entrance has C20
glazed door and side lights. Windows have leaded glazing, most
with ovolo-moulded mullions and transoms: ground floor has
3-light transomed rectangular bay windows flanking entrance,
and 3-light windows to left and right; to right of these a
4-light transomed bay window and 2 cross-casements, 3-light
window to right end; 1st floor 7 restored 3-light transomed
casements, three to left end flanked by original short 3-light
windows; 2nd floor has 3-light windows. Close-studded framing.
Left return has 3-light transomed bay window; rear range
former stable block of single storey with attic; modillioned
brick cornice; 2- and 3-light windows and one 12-pane sash; 8
INTERIOR: exposed chamfered beams and close-studded framing;
front room has C17 panelling; some stone fireplaces with
timber bressumers; room to rear has early C19 painted glass
Recorded as an inn from 1655-61; The Royal Shakespeare Club
held its annual dinner here from 1824.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: London: 1966-:
418; Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets
and Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 20).
Listing NGR: SP2003954760
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings