This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1908 / 52°11'26"N
Longitude: -1.7075 / 1°42'26"W
OS Eastings: 420092
OS Northings: 254771
OS Grid: SP200547
Mapcode National: GBR 4LT.M4L
Mapcode Global: VHBY0.C65C
Plus Code: 9C4W57RV+82
Entry Name: Nash's House (New Place Museum)
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 4 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204376
English Heritage Legacy ID: 366182
Location: Stratford-upon-Avon, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon
Built-Up Area: Stratford-upon-Avon
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Stratford on Avon Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP2054NW CHAPEL STREET
604-1/10/38 (South East side)
Nash's House (New Place Museum)
(Formerly Listed as:
(South East side)
New Place Museum (Shakespeare
Town house now museum. c1600 front rebuilt in 1912.
Timber-frame with plaster and brick infill on rubble plinth;
tile roofs with rubble and brick stacks. 2 storeys with attic;
2-window range. 1st and 2nd floors jettied. Entrance to left
of centre has plank door. Windows have ovolo mullions and
leaded glazing; those to ground floor are transomed, of 3 and
5 lights; those to 1st floor of 5 lights, those to 2nd floor
of 3 lights in gables. Close-studded framing. Right return has
square framing, with brick infill to gable. Rear wing with
rubble stack to rear of front range with diagonal brick
shafts, brick infill to square framing and early C20 windows
including canted bay window with hipped roof, brick stack;
lower rear addition and single-storey end scullery.
INTERIOR: original timber-framing and chamfered beams;
fireplaces have stop-chamfered timber bressumer, one ex-situ
fireplace has ashlar Tudor arch; open-well stair has
spiral-on-vase balusters, cross-mullioned window to landing
has stained glass panels; C17 door to scullery which has
fireplace and bread oven; attic has 2-panel doors.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the house was owned by Thomas Nash from c1630
and was probably the home of his widow, Elizabeth, nee Hall,
Shakespeare's grand-daughter, from 1647; from 1884 it was
vested in the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust and is now a
museum. The grounds are of marked interest and contain
foundations of New Place, Shakespeare's last home, and the
famous Knott garden. The Shakespeare Monument (qv) is in the
Great Garden of New Place to the rear in Chapel Lane.
(Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and
Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 21; History of the Streets of
Stratford-upon-Avon: Bearman R et al: Chapel Street:
Listing NGR: SP2009954768
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings