This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9949 / 51°59'41"N
Longitude: -2.1579 / 2°9'28"W
OS Eastings: 389252
OS Northings: 232948
OS Grid: SO892329
Mapcode National: GBR 1JK.TGW
Mapcode Global: VH93T.K412
Plus Code: 9C3VXRVR+WR
Entry Name: 2, Back of Avon
Listing Date: 27 July 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1204629
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376588
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8932 BACK OF AVON
859-1/6/3 (East side)
House in row. Early C18, reputed 1712 build.
Flemish bond brick, tile roofs, rendered lateral stacks. A
tall twin-gabled house with through passage to right, and
gabled extension transversely across back.
3 storeys and basement, 3-windowed. 12-pane sashes in exposed
boxes, to segmental heads, but at second floor are 2-light
casements; all to brick cills. To right is panelled door to
side passage, and main panelled entry door enters left
half-way along. 2 wood lintels to former cellar openings,
front, 3-course brick band above first-floor windows, small
oculus in each of the steep-pitched gables.
Return, left is set forward from adjacent property, has small
6-pane fixed lights at 3 levels in rendered wall. Brick stack
left wall. Rear extension is in brick-nogged timber-framing,
and there is considerable framing within the property,
including partition to through passage.
INTERIOR has rebuilt bressumer fire to ground floor, a good
early C18 shouldered ovolo-mould wood fire surround to first
floor, full-width room, and a lofty fireplace to top floor
left, in moulded architrave and to moulded mantel, brick inset
with bars. Various C18 or C19 wide plank and batten doors,
some with early hinges. Stair transversely across back,
directly from ground floor room to top winders, and with
winders top and bottom to upper flight.
The rear, kitchen wing includes heavy cross beam, rear
casement window with vertical bars internally, and C19 iron
cooking grate. First-floor room in main block has central
beam, and at top floor back is a blocked former window.
An unusually well-preserved building, probably associated with
water-borne activities on the adjacent waterway serving Abbey
Listing NGR: SO8925232947
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings