This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9925 / 51°59'32"N
Longitude: -2.1568 / 2°9'24"W
OS Eastings: 389329
OS Northings: 232678
OS Grid: SO893326
Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.1JQ
Mapcode Global: VH93T.K5NX
Entry Name: 81 and 82, Barton Street
Listing Date: 4 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205058
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376655
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8932 BARTON STREET
859-1/6/69 (South side)
04/03/52 Nos.81 AND 82
House in row, with shop. C18 front on C17 structure, with
probably C14 hall range to rear. Front is Flemish bond
brickwork, tile roof, remainder timber-framed, brick or
plaster panels; brick stacks.
PLAN: The parallel-plan front range, partly over Mason's Court
to the right, is a C17 rebuilding probably on the site of C14
solar block; behind this is the 3-bay C14 hall range, formerly
open to roof and now floored and sub-divided; two C14 bays to
rear of hall were probably originally floored.
EXTERIOR: the street front is 2 storeys with attic,
2-windowed. Gabled C18 two-light casement dormers with early
leading, in a steep-pitched roof which has a high hipped end
of half roof visible to the left. First floor has 16-pane
sashes under voussoirs, and ground floor a C20 plate-glass
shop front. The painted brick parapet has a concrete coping.
In the court the wall to the left is framed, and the back wall
is in heavy framing with brick nogging; the corner post rises
from the centre of a bressumer running across the court. A
large stack in C17 brick is at the rear eaves of the front
range, adjacent to the hall. Behind the main range is a
steeply-pitched gabled roof over the early hall, which is
reported to retain head of C14 two-light west window.
INTERIOR partly inspected: the 3-bay hall range includes cruck
trusses of very large scantling, with collar and braced tie,
and large chamfered wind-braces. Smoke blackening to roof
timbers, the rear truss being a full cruck with square-set
ridge on yoke. The C14 two-bay roof to rear of hall (and
originally divided from it by a closed truss) has straight
principals to similar apex.
VCH records 2-centred arch surviving from one of 2 opposed
doorways to rear (south) end of rear wing. A complex and
important example of a C14 merchant's house of hall and solar
type, which would repay further investigation.
(Victoria County History: Gloucestershire: London: 1968-:
Listing NGR: SO8933932664
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings