This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9908 / 51°59'26"N
Longitude: -2.161 / 2°9'39"W
OS Eastings: 389039
OS Northings: 232498
OS Grid: SO890324
Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.0H3
Mapcode Global: VH93T.H7D5
Entry Name: National School
Listing Date: 27 July 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1205636
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376689
Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20
Civil Parish: Tewkesbury
Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SO8932 CHURCH STREET
859-1/6/109 (South side)
Former school, now offices. Founded 1813, built 1817, enlarged
1842. Limestone ashlar, slate hipped roof behind parapet.
Tudor Gothic style. Lofty free-standing rectangular block in 2
storeys, 3x4-windowed, all 2-light stone recessed
chamfered-mullion and transom casements to flush surrounds
under stopped drip courses.
Front to Church Street has centre bay slightly brought
forward, with pair of plank doors on 4 sandstone steps in
4-centred arch with stopped drip and decorative spandrels.
Above this is raised commemorative panel under stopped drip,
inscribed: NATIONAL SCHOOL FOUNDED 1813 ENLARGED 1842. Plinth,
enriched coved cornice with florets and 2 gargoyles, blocking
course and saddle back parapet.
Side to Abbey Churchyard similar, no door; left return, to
alley, in rough coursed squared stone, 5 scattered windows
without enrichment. Far left is 6-panel flush beaded door to
segmental voussoirs, on 1 sandstone step. Back partly
concealed by timber-framed 1842 extension has 2 windows
visible at first floor. INTERIOR not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the building is in part on the site of the
former detached belfry to the Abbey (demolished in 1816) and
completed at a cost of »1345.8.3. Bennett (The History of
Tewkesbury, 1830) describes it as ".. a very neat and
substantial structure ..".
Listing NGR: SO8903932498
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings