This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3369 / 52°20'12"N
Longitude: -2.292 / 2°17'31"W
OS Eastings: 380200
OS Northings: 271018
OS Grid: SO802710
Mapcode National: GBR 0BZ.HB9
Mapcode Global: VH920.7J5D
Plus Code: 9C4V8PP5+Q5
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 5 July 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1209472
English Heritage Legacy ID: 393378
Location: Stourport-on-Severn, Wyre Forest, Worcestershire, DY13
Civil Parish: Stourport-on-Severn
Built-Up Area: Stourport-on-Severn
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Areley Kings
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
STOURPORT ON SEVERN
SO 8071 SW
RECTORY LANE, Areley Kings (North west side)
Church of St Bartholomew
Anglican church. Norman, C14, C15 and C18 remains; remainder rebuilt in 1885-6 by F Preedy. Norman masonry in chancel; 3-stage south tower, first stage and lower courses of second stage are C14, upper courses of second stage and third stage are C15. Sandstone ashlar with some brickwork in chancel, plain tiled roofs with ridge cresting. Nave, north aisle, chancel, south tower and NE vestry. South door entered through tower of which the lower one and a half stages are limestone, the upper section sandstone but with limestone parapet. Diagonal buttresses, plinth and string-course defining simple moulded archway. 2-light Decorated window in upper storey, stair turret in western angle. Nave and north aisle externally coursed and squared red sandstone, patched with grey sandstone. Decorated windows to south and north walls belong to rebuilding of 1885. Coped western gables with finial crosses. Narrow west door with double chamfered arch and hoodmould, beneath Decorated window. Small projecting late C19 vestry to north with gathered chimney. Chancel is coursed and squared white and red sandstone with buttresses to centre and angles of E wall. Stone and C18 brickwork in gable apex. East window is 2-centred with simple Y tracery, probably late C18. 2 oval memorial stones with no visible inscription to each side of window. Small round arched C12 window in south wall of chancel. INTERIOR faced with red sandstone in 1885-6, though a section of the medieval wall material survives around the south doorway. North aisle arcade of alternate cylindrical and polygonal shafts, clustered shafts to chancel arch. Nave has arch-braced roof springing from corbels. Early font base with cable decoration, the bowl itself a C19 replacement in a similar style. Carved wooden eagle lectern. Late C19 polygonal pulpit and seating. East end re-ordered. Royal Arms and hatchment in north aisle. Some late C18 and early C19 memorials around south doorway: a marble tablet with engaged shafts and funerary urn commemorates Mary and John Adams, erected 1783, and a simple inscribed slab surmounted byan urn commemorates Betty and John Benbow, d1805 and 1820. In the chancel, the memorial for John Zachary, d1802 is an inscribed marble slab surmounted by a wide obelisk bearing crest and arms. SOURCE: Buildings of England, p.71.
Listing NGR: SO8020071018
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings