History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 38 to 39 (Consecutive) and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Clerkenwell, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5266 / 51°31'35"N

Longitude: -0.1114 / 0°6'40"W

OS Eastings: 531114

OS Northings: 182546

OS Grid: TQ311825

Mapcode National: GBR M6.4X

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.0WZK

Entry Name: Numbers 38 to 39 (Consecutive) and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 29 September 1972

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1297954

English Heritage Legacy ID: 369436

Location: Islington, London, WC1X

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Clerkenwell Holy Redeemer

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


635-1/68/907 (North West side)
29/09/72 Nos.38-39 (Consecutive)
and attached railings


Two terraced houses. 1819-1841; much rebuilt by Islington
Council 1969. By John Wilson, builder for Lord Compton and the
Spa Fields Estate. Yellow stock brick laid in Flemish bond
with banded stucco ground-floor and stucco dressings; roofs
obscured by parapet, stacks not visible. Originally probably
side-hall entrance plan; now centre-hall entrance plan. Three
storeys with basement; 5 windows each plus 1 window (blind) to
left-hand return wall in Attneave Street. Symmetrical and
double-fronted. Steps rise to entrance: round-arched doorway
set in narrow stucco recess with fluted 1/4 column jambs
carrying corniced-head, patterned fanlight, and C20 panelled
door. Ground-floor round-arched sashes with 6/6 curved and
radial glazing bars with raised basement sashes in lieu of
panel below. Gauged-brick flat arches to upper storeys except
1st floor sashes. 1st floor stucco sill band beneath
full-length 6/6 sashes with individual cast-iron balconies
with anthemion and Vitruvian scroll pattern to railings. 2nd
floor 3/3 sashes. Projecting stucco cornice and blocking
course; plain brick parapet with stone coping to left return.
Attached cast-iron railings with floral tops and pineapple
finials. Wilmington Square was created from the Earls of
Northampton's Spa Fields Estate, which in 1817 the 9th Earl
asigned to his heir Lord Compton. The subsequent building in
Wilmington Square was one of London's 1st post-Waterloo
developments. Progress was piecemeal: the south terrace was
the 1st and grandest; nos. 38-39 not completed until 1841. For
financial reasons the square was reduced in depth and thus
became a backwater on the fringes of estates.
(The Squares of Islington: Cosh, M: The Squares of Islington
Part I: Finsbury and Clerkenwell: Islington: 1990-: 93-98).

Listing NGR: TQ3111482546

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.