This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8287 / 52°49'43"N
Longitude: -0.9868 / 0°59'12"W
OS Eastings: 468361
OS Northings: 326166
OS Grid: SK683261
Mapcode National: GBR 9LN.PB8
Mapcode Global: WHFJR.T589
Entry Name: The Old Chapel
Listing Date: 25 September 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1235982
English Heritage Legacy ID: 426885
Location: Upper Broughton, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, LE14
Civil Parish: Upper Broughton
Built-Up Area: Upper Broughton
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Broughton Sulney
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/06/2015
CHAPEL LANE (east end)
The Old Chapel
(Formerly listed as The Free Church)
Former chapel, now private dwelling. Dated 1795, porch circa 1900. Brick. Blue slate roof with gabled ends and a dentilled eaves cornice at rear. Two storeys. Symmetrical facade. Later porch with dentilled eaves cornice and set-back double doorway obscures the lower part of a central round-arched window and the two symmetrically placed round-arched, panelled entrances. Two fixed-light windows with glazing bars at high level. Central slate plaque with the date '1795'. Lean-to addition to right. Left return has 2 ground floor fixed lights with shallow segmental heads. The rear elevation is again symmetrical. 2 large centrally placed segmental headed windows and smaller flanking windows to each floor.
Interior: re-arranged with late C19 pine-boarded furnishings, the axis now being south-north. Slate memorial on north wall to William Rouse of Hose d.1801 aged 62 and Ann his wife d.1835, erected by Joseph Rouse son of the above, signed Glenn, Hose. On the west wall a marble oval memorial to Elizabeth Severn relict of the late Rev. William Severn, Unitarian Minister, d.Feb. 15th 1819 aged 64. The pulpit was formerly centrally placed on the west wall between the 2 large windows. North and south galleries have been removed. The General Baptist Congregation was formed in the mid C18 by preachers from East Leake. It joined the New Connexion in 1802.
RCHME. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England, 1986.
Listing NGR: SK6836126166
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings