This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8293 / 52°49'45"N
Longitude: -0.9871 / 0°59'13"W
OS Eastings: 468342
OS Northings: 326238
OS Grid: SK683262
Mapcode National: GBR 9LN.P7V
Mapcode Global: WHFJR.T44S
Plus Code: 9C4XR2H7+P5
Entry Name: Church of St Luke
Listing Date: 23 June 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1264583
English Heritage Legacy ID: 426890
Location: Upper Broughton, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, LE14
Civil Parish: Upper Broughton
Built-Up Area: Upper Broughton
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Broughton Sulney
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
UPPER BROUGHTON RECTORY ROAD
SK62NE (north side)
6/146 Church of St Luke
Church. Remains of south arcade circa 1200, north arcade C13, tower
C13 and C14, porch 1733, north aisle and chancel rebuilt 1855 by
S. S. Teulon. Predominantly ironstone, thinly coursed sandstone
porch, blue lias chancel, all with limestone dressings. Lead roofs,
the steeply-pitched chancel roof is tiled. Nave of 4 internal bays,
south porch, north aisle, 2-bay chancel, west tower. The porch has a
quatrefoil frieze (re-set) and a round-arched portal and within, a
fragment of a Norman tympanum. Two, tall, south windows, one of 2-
lights the other of 3-lights both with cusped intersecting tracery.
Two, square-headed, 2-light clerestorey windows on north side.
Similar, larger windows to the later north aisle. The chancel has
2-light windows each with a foiled circle in head. 3-light east window
with a star in the head. The 2 stage tower has later clasping buttresses
to lower stage, small lancet west window, 2-light, louvred bell-chamber
openings and quatrefoil frieze under crenellated parapet.
Interior: remains of earlier south arcade built into south wall: one
double-chamfered round arch, on round piers with moulded capitals one
with zig-zag decoration the other with nailhead. 4-bay double-chamfered
north arcade on octagonal piers with moulded capitals which have nailhead
decoration. C14 octagonal font with relief tracery in the panels.
Slate memorials on north wall: 1788 to John Brett, elegantly shaped and
decorated with flowing foliage, signed W. Barnes; 1823 to Elizabeth,
wife of John Brett, signed Pratt, Nottingham.
N Pevsner. The Buildings of England, 1979.
Listing NGR: SK6834226238
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings