History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Upper Broughton War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Melton Mowbray, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8291 / 52°49'44"N

Longitude: -0.9874 / 0°59'14"W

OS Eastings: 468319

OS Northings: 326210

OS Grid: SK683262

Mapcode National: GBR 9LN.P5Q

Mapcode Global: WHFJR.S4ZZ

Plus Code: 9C4XR2H7+J2

Entry Name: Upper Broughton War Memorial

Listing Date: 27 August 2019

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1463758

Location: Upper Broughton, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, LE14

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Rushcliffe

Civil Parish: Upper Broughton

Built-Up Area: Upper Broughton

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Summary


A war memorial dating to the early 1920s, standing in the graveyard of the Church of St Luke.

Description

A war memorial unveiled and blessed in 1920, standing in the graveyard of the Church of St Luke.

MATERIALS: limestone.

PLAN: square on plan.

DESCRIPTION: the memorial stands on a two-stepped base and is a tapering plinth and shaft, surmounted by a wheeled Celtic cross, itself on a moulded and projecting base. The names of the fallen are inscribed on the lower section of the plinth above the base. Around the upper step is inscribed IN MEMORY OF/ OUR GLORIOUS DEAD/ FRANCE BELGIUM. 1914-1918. The name of the soldier from the village killed in the Second World War is inscribed on the lower step.

History

The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the 19th century. Prior to then memorials were rare and were mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, which was the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.

The Upper Broughton Memorial commemorates the eight men from the village killed in the First World War and the soldier killed in the Second World War. It was blessed by the Bishop of Southwell during a visit to the village. The church was formerly known as St Oswald's before being re-dedicated to St Luke.

Reasons for Listing

Upper Broughton War Memorial, which is situated in the Churchyard of St Luke's and was unveiled in 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

Historic interest:

* as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.

Architectural interest:

* as a simple but well-executed wheeled-cross memorial.

Group value:

* with the Grade I-listed Church of St Luke (List Entry: 1264583) and other listed headstones within the graveyard (LE: 1264813).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.