History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Upper Broughton, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8297 / 52°49'46"N

Longitude: -0.9864 / 0°59'10"W

OS Eastings: 468389

OS Northings: 326273

OS Grid: SK683262

Mapcode National: GBR 9LN.PF6

Mapcode Global: WHFJR.T4GK

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 23 June 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1236437

English Heritage Legacy ID: 426888

Location: Upper Broughton, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, LE14

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Rushcliffe

Civil Parish: Upper Broughton

Built-Up Area: Upper Broughton

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Broughton Sulney

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Nether Broughton

Listing Text

UPPER BROUGHTON RECTORY ROAD
SK62NE (east end)
6/144 The Old Rectory
GV II
Detached house. Dated 1854. Red brick with blue brick diaper work.
Plain-tile roof with gables, half-hips and sprocketted hips over
projecting bays. End and lateral stacks rise from external reducing
chimney breasts. Two storeys. Gothic Revival style. An ordered
but asymmetrical composition consisting of approx. two main parallel
ranges with various gabled, hipped and half-hipped projecting bays,
and several reducing, projecting chimney breasts. The entrance front
breaks forward slightly in the centre under two gables. Ogee headed
ashlar open porch with colonnettes and a hood mould and darker brick
relieving arch. Oak inner door with strap hinges. Flanking, reducing
brick buttresses support a lst-floor 3-light, ashlar, canted bay with
lead roof and traceried side lights. To the left of the door is an
ashlar plaque with ornamental legend: "NON
SIBI
SOLI
AD 1854"
This is set between 2 narrow windows with a 3-light mullioned and
transomed window above. To the right of the doorway is a broad
projecting chimney breast. The right corner is marked by a diagonally
set 2 storey square bay which has cross windows with ashlar dressings.
The right return has a 3-light staircase window, with 2 transomes, set
between the front and rear ranges. Two later conservatories. The
garden front has, to the left, a 2-storey canted bay and a slightly
projecting ground-floor square bay with mullioned and transomed window
and a gable above. Between the bays is a narrow plate-traceried window.
At the right end is a parallel, half-hipped projecting range.
Interior: not inspected.


Listing NGR: SK6838926273

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.