History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Hall and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in City of London, City of London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5177 / 51°31'3"N

Longitude: -0.1113 / 0°6'40"W

OS Eastings: 531146

OS Northings: 181551

OS Grid: TQ311815

Mapcode National: GBR MB.54

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.131W

Plus Code: 9C3XGV9Q+3F

Entry Name: The Hall and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 14 May 1974

Last Amended: 1 February 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246099

English Heritage Legacy ID: 454467

Location: Farringdon, City of London, London, WC1V

County: City of London

Electoral Ward/Division: Farringdon Without

Built-Up Area: City of London

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London

Church of England Parish: St Alban Holborn

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in


627-0/1/10152 (South side)
14/05/74 The Hall and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
The Hall)

Banqueting hall forming part of the south side of a courtyard. 1581 by for Richard Champion, principal of the Inn. Destroyed during Second World War and rebuilt in facsimile c1955 by Edward Maufe. Brown brick with stone dressings. Slate roof, parapet with plain band below. Single storey. 4 bays with former "screens" at west end. North facade to Staple Inn Court with 2 buttresses (Stone capped off-sets) flanking 4-light transom and mullion window, 6-light, transom and mullion, canted bay window to left and to right a shallow brick porch with moulded stone ogee door surround, surmounted by a cartouche with clock over. Subsidiary feature: attached railings. South facade to gardens with 4 buttresses (stone capped off-sets) flanking 3 3-light transome and mullion windows. To left, Gothic doorway dated 1753 and approached by inswept flight of steps with railings. Clock over dated 1757. Two rainwater heads dated 1954. At the west end of the roof a cupola with bell. To the right, over the 3rd bay, a louvre with stained glass panes, ogee lead cupola and weathervane.
INTERIOR: with facsimile hammberbeam roof and facsimile Jacobean panelling at the west end, under the gallery, reproducing the design of the former screen.
HISTORY: Staple Inn, comprising Hall and Chambers, became an Inn of Chancery early in the Cl5. It suffered considerable bomb damage during the 2nd World War. Formerly Listed in the LB of Camden. Since 1 April 1994 Staple Inn has been within the City of London.

Listing NGR: TQ3114681552

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.