This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.518 / 51°31'4"N
Longitude: -0.1111 / 0°6'39"W
OS Eastings: 531158
OS Northings: 181588
OS Grid: TQ311815
Mapcode National: GBR MB.60
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.134M
Plus Code: 9C3XGV9Q+5H
Entry Name: 1-4, Holborn Bars
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Last Amended: 1 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1246103
English Heritage Legacy ID: 454473
Location: Farringdon, City of London, London, EC1N
County: City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Farringdon Without
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Bride Fleet Street
Church of England Diocese: London
HOLBORN BARS (South side)
(Formerly Listed as: CAMDEN STAPLE INN, Holborn Bars Nos.1-4 (Consecutive))
Four chambers with later shops. The rear of these buildings form Nos 4, 5 and 6 Staple Inn (qv). 1586 for Vincent Engham, Principal of the Inn. In 1886 Alfred Waterhouse removed post-medieval additions (a plastered front and sash windows of C18 date) in a restoration funded by the Prudential Assurance Company. The rear resurfaced in brick c1826. Interior and rear extensively reconstructed in 1939 in order to preserve the timber framing to the front wall; restorations c1950.
Close studded timber frame front elevation with brick rear under a tiled, gabled roof, C20 chimney stacks. Three storeys and attic. Symmetrical front of five gabled bays having overhanging jetties at floor levels. Entrance to Staple Inn in central bay. The central gable bay with original splayed oriel window of six lights and one light to either side over main entrance (first and second floors). Each flanking bay with eight or nine lights, the centres projecting (first and second floors). Eight lights to attics. Transom and mullion casement windows with square leaded panes. Carved bressumers at floor levels and carved bargeboards to gables.
At ground floor, entrance to Staple Inn, a carved stone arched gateway flanked by Jacobean pilasters with moulded impost-capitals, round arch with reeded archivolt, panelled soffit and pendant key-block. Double panelled doors with wicket in right-hand leaf. To left, early C19 shopfronts, much altered. No. 3 with projecting entablature; No. 4 entablature with inswept frieze and dentil cornice and Corinthian pilaster at right hand from former shop doorway. Interior with C19 mahogany and glass fittings.
Nos. 1 and 2 with 1930s "Tudor" double front with central entrance. Herringbone brick risers support plate glass Tudor arched windows with enriched carved frames and spandrels beneath strips of small panes; entrance arch with coats of arms in spandrels.
INTERIORS: not inspected.
HISTORY: with Nos. 337 and 338 High Holborn (qv), these building form a unique example in London of a C16 group of timber-framed houses.
Forms a group with the C18 styled buildings with addresses as follows: Nos. 1, 2 and 3 Staple Inn (qv), Nos. 4, 5 and 6 Staple Inn (qv), Nos. 7 and 8 Staple Inn (qv), and Nos. 9 and 10 Staple Inn (qv).
Formerly Listed in the LB of Camden. Since 1 April 1994 Staple Inn has been within the City of London.
Listing NGR: TQ 3115481587
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings