History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tomb of Captain John Deane, 10 Metres South East of Church of St Wilfrid

A Grade II Listed Building in Clifton North, City of Nottingham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9344 / 52°56'3"N

Longitude: -1.1587 / 1°9'31"W

OS Eastings: 456646

OS Northings: 337778

OS Grid: SK566377

Mapcode National: GBR LMX.77

Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.5HJR

Entry Name: Tomb of Captain John Deane, 10 Metres South East of Church of St Wilfrid

Listing Date: 30 November 1995

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1246778

English Heritage Legacy ID: 455822

Location: Nottingham, NG11

County: City of Nottingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton North

Built-Up Area: West Bridgford

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Wilford

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
West Bridgford

Listing Text


NOTTINGHAM

SK53NE CHURCH LANE, Wilford
646-1/7/806 Tomb of Captain John Deane, 10m
south-east of Church of St Wilfrid

GV II

Chest tomb and railing. 1761. Signed Charles (probably W
Charles of Wymeswold, Leics), to Captain John Deane. Red brick
chest with ashlar top and base, enclosed in a wrought-iron
railing with corner posts and finials. Inscribed slate tablet
on north side.
Captain Deane held a commission in the Russian navy until
1720, wrote a history of the Russian fleet, held diplomatic
posts in Flanders and Ostend, and acted throughout as a
British spy.


Listing NGR: SK5664637778

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


NOTTINGHAM

SK53NE CHURCH LANE, Wilford
646-1/7/806 Tomb of Captain John Deane, 10m
south-east of Church of St Wilfrid

GV II

Chest tomb and railing. 1761. Signed Charles (probably W
Charles of Wymeswold, Leics), to Captain John Deane. Red brick
chest with ashlar top and base, enclosed in a wrought-iron
railing with corner posts and finials. Inscribed slate tablet
on north side.
Captain Deane held a commission in the Russian navy until
1720, wrote a history of the Russian fleet, held diplomatic
posts in Flanders and Ostend, and acted throughout as a
British spy.


Listing NGR: SK5664637778

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.