This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9344 / 52°56'3"N
Longitude: -1.158 / 1°9'28"W
OS Eastings: 456690
OS Northings: 337775
OS Grid: SK566377
Mapcode National: GBR LMX.D7
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.5HTS
Plus Code: 9C4WWRMR+QR
Entry Name: Wilford Rectory
Listing Date: 12 July 1972
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1247114
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455823
Location: Nottingham, NG11
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton North
Built-Up Area: West Bridgford
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Wilford
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK53NE CHURCH LANE, Wilford
646-1/7/808 (East side)
12/07/72 Wilford Rectory
(Formerly Listed as:
Rectory. c1720. For Benjamin Carter, rector 1694-1733. Altered
C18 and C19. Addition to east, mid C19. Red brick, with ashlar
dressings and plain tile roofs with coped gables. 4 gable and
single valley stacks.
EXTERIOR: rendered plinth, first floor and eaves bands,
dentillated eaves cornice. 2 storeys plus attics; 5 window
range. Double range plan.
Symmetrical front with half-round ashlar steps, 8-panel door
and overlight. To left, two 15-pane sashes, and to right 2
similar windows, reglazed. Above, 5 identical glazing bar
sashes. Attics have 3 dormers with segmental and triangular
pediments. C19 addition, to right, 2 storeys, has a ridge
stack. Canted 2 storey bay window, 3-lights, with plain sashes
and brick cornice.
Rear has a panelled double door and overlight, flanked by
large glazing bar casements. To right, flat roofed canted
brick bay window, 3 sashes. Above, central round-arched stair
window flanked by 2 glazing bar sashes. Attics have 3 hipped
INTERIOR has central dogleg stair with panelled soffit and
turned balusters, with ramped scrolled handrail. Panelled
study, formerly parlour, has moulded cornice and panelled
wooden chimneypiece and overmantel. Panelled dining room has
bay window, mid C18, and fireplace, C19.
Unusual example of a purpose-built rectory still in use.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 272; The Agrarian History of England and Wales: Barley
MW & Smith P: The Buildings of the Countryside, 1500-1750:
127; Church Guide: Wright A: Wilford: 1978-).
Listing NGR: SK5669037775
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings