This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9346 / 52°56'4"N
Longitude: -1.1588 / 1°9'31"W
OS Eastings: 456633
OS Northings: 337797
OS Grid: SK566377
Mapcode National: GBR LMX.65
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.5HFM
Plus Code: 9C4WWRMR+RF
Entry Name: Church of St Wilfrid
Listing Date: 29 April 1964
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271049
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455819
Location: Nottingham, NG11
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton North
Built-Up Area: West Bridgford
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Wilford
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK53NE CHURCH LANE, Wilford
646-1/7/804 Church of St Wilfrid
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Wilfrid)
Parish church. Late C14, possibly founded by Gervase de
Wilford c1361. Chancel c1430, clerestory and tower later C15.
Aisles rebuilt and vestry added 1890-91 by Naylor & Sale of
Derby. Restored 1868 and 1890. Nave reroofed 1935, chancel
reroofed 1960. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and
lead roofs. Decorated and Perpendicular styles.
PLAN: nave and chancel under continuous roof, clerestory,
vestry and aisles, south porch, north-west tower.
EXTERIOR: plinth, crenellated parapets except to south aisle.
Chancel, north aisle and vestry have buttresses topped with
Chancel, 2 bays, has pointed arched east window, 3-lights. To
south, 2 flat-headed windows, 2-lights, and pointed arched
door with double shafts. To north, a similar window. All the
openings have hood moulds.
Nave west gable has a renewed window, 3-lights, and clerestory
has to south 4 windows, 2-lights, all flat-headed. North aisle
has two flat-headed windows, 2-lights, and single light west
window, renewed. Vestry, to north east, has 2 smaller
flat-headed windows to north, and a renewed pointed arched
window to east, 3-lights. All these windows have panel
tracery. Square north porch to vestry, with segment-arched
door and wrought-iron gates. South aisle 4 bays, has angle
buttresses. To south, flanking the porch, pointed arched
windows, 2-lights, and to east, a similar 3-light window with
intersecting tracery. East end has a decorated style window,
3-lights, renewed. West end has a single lancet. South porch,
gabled, has pointed arched doorway with niche above, and
single slit lights each side. Inside, restored stone benches,
C19 wrought-iron gates, roof and inner doorway. Square tower,
2 stages, has buttresses and crenellated parapet with corner
pinnacles, renewed. C19 chamfered west doorway, and small
lights to north and above. Bell stage has a 2-light pointed
arched opening each side.
INTERIOR: scraped 1890. Chancel has double chamfered arch and
panelled cross beam ceiling. North side has archway and 2
doors, segment-headed, with organ and reset traceried screen,
1921, perhaps with medieval fragments. East end has early C20
panelled reredos, and stained glass east window c1864, flanked
by niches. South side has memorial stained glass window,
c1870, by O'Connor to Henry Kirke White. Ogee piscina, triple
sedilia, restored 1868, and doorway.
Nave has arcades, 3 bays, with octagonal piers and double
chamfered arches, and renewed cross beam roof. 3 unglazed
clerestory windows to north, covered by the aisle, and 4 to
south. West end has stained glass window c1891. North aisle
has double chamfered arches at each end, the west one with a
traceried screen. Stained glass windows, 1915 and 1916. Vestry
has panelling, fireplace and stair turret.
South aisle has stained glass windows, late C19 and early C20.
Reset stoup, C13, at east end.
Fittings mainly late C19 and early C20. Recut octagonal font,
Memorials include large slate tablets with crests and putti,
signed W Chales of Wymeswold, 1732 and 1755. Pedimented marble
and slate tablet, 1818, by Walkers of Nottingham. 2 marble and
slate war memorial tablets, C20 with sword between them.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 272-273; Church guide: Wright A: Wilford: 1978-).
Listing NGR: SK5663337797
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings