This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9348 / 52°56'5"N
Longitude: -1.1572 / 1°9'25"W
OS Eastings: 456746
OS Northings: 337821
OS Grid: SK567378
Mapcode National: GBR LMX.K2
Mapcode Global: WHDGZ.6H7G
Entry Name: Ferry Inn
Listing Date: 13 December 1949
Last Amended: 30 November 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1270746
English Heritage Legacy ID: 457491
Location: Nottingham, NG11
County: City of Nottingham
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton North
Built-Up Area: West Bridgford
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Wilford
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
SK53NE MAIN ROAD, Wilford
646-1/7/818 (West side)
13/12/49 Ferry Inn
(Formerly Listed as:
MAIN ROAD, Wilford
Ferry Inn (formerly listed in the
Urban District of West Bridgford))
Public house. Late C17 and early C18, with alterations and
additions C19 and C20. Brick painted and rendered, with
substantial remains of timber framing, and slate and plain
tile roofs. Rendered plinth. The building comprises 2 houses
and an adjoining outbuilding, joined end to end.
Central range, C17 and C18, 2 storeys, 2 window range, has
brick front with dentillated eaves. Low pitched slate roof
with gable stack. Renewed segment-arched casement, 4-lights,
with shutters. Above, 2 glazing bar casements, 3-lights, late
C18. At the rear, 3 irregular bays of box framing with
diagonal braces and mid rail, and brick nogging.
Right range, late C17, has gabled and hipped plain tile roof
with an off-centre ridge stack. Opposite the stack, a gabled
porch, mid C20, with a small window to left and a Yorkshire
sash, 3-lights, to right. Beyond, single storey additions, mid
C20. Above, to right, a C19 casement.
Former outbuilding, to left, early C19, has a hipped slate
roof. On the street side, a segment-arched loft door.
INTERIOR has exposed joists and lintel in the centre range,
and span beams and a single post, possibly resited, to the
This building may have served as the rectory before c1720.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London:
1979-: 272; Wilford Parish Magazine Oct 1992: Rev. P Newton).
Listing NGR: SK5674637821
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings