History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boundary Wall to West of Parish Church of St Peter with South West Gateway

A Grade II Listed Building in City and Hunslet, Leeds

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7951 / 53°47'42"N

Longitude: -1.5368 / 1°32'12"W

OS Eastings: 430612

OS Northings: 433295

OS Grid: SE306332

Mapcode National: GBR BLM.GC

Mapcode Global: WHC9D.CWG0

Entry Name: Boundary Wall to West of Parish Church of St Peter with South West Gateway

Listing Date: 8 May 1974

Last Amended: 11 September 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1255561

English Heritage Legacy ID: 465874

Location: Leeds, LS2

County: Leeds

Electoral Ward/Division: City and Hunslet

Built-Up Area: Leeds

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Leeds City

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Leeds

Listing Text


LEEDS

SE3033SE CHURCH ROW
714-1/79/97 (East side)
08/05/74 Boundary wall to west of Parish
Church of St Peter, with south-west
gateway
(Formerly Listed as:
KIRKGATE
(South side (off))
Gatepiers NW and SW of St Peter's
Church and churchyard wall north and
west)

GV II

Boundary wall to churchyard with gate piers and overthrow with
lantern bracket. 1841. Gritstone, coursed and squared and cut
to ashlar finish; cast-iron railings and overthrow. Approx 65m
long and 1m high, rising to 1.5m, from north to south end;
extending from west pier of NW gateway to churchyard along
Church Row.
2 courses of ashlar at north end, raised with coursed squared
blocks to accommodate drop in ground level; gabled coping with
seating for missing railings for most of length, but a short
length of railing with arrow-head finials to bars survives (or
replaced) to left of gateway.
Gate piers approx 3m high, square section, chamfered plinth
and panelled sides, cornices with quatrefoil panels, 2-tier
pyramidal caps.
Overthrow has paired square-section bars linked by palmette
motif at cornice height, scrolled at each side of lantern
bracket.
HISTORICAL NOTE: now opening into the end of Kirk Ings Yard
and little used, this was one of the main entrances into the
precinct of the old Church of St Peter and continued in use
after the rebuild of 1839-41.
Before the establishment of the present line of The Calls in
c1830 to the south, the medieval routeway from the manor house
and Briggate to the east was via this lane and the churchyard
to Timble Bridge.
(Thoresby Society and Leeds City Library: Giles map of Leeds,
1815 (Reprinted): 1987-).



Listing NGR: SE3061333294

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


LEEDS

SE3033SE CHURCH ROW
714-1/79/97 (East side)
08/05/74 Boundary wall to west of Parish
Church of St Peter, with south-west
gateway
(Formerly Listed as:
KIRKGATE
(South side (off))
Gatepiers NW and SW of St Peter's
Church and churchyard wall north and
west)

GV II

Boundary wall to churchyard with gate piers and overthrow with
lantern bracket. 1841. Gritstone, coursed and squared and cut
to ashlar finish; cast-iron railings and overthrow. Approx 65m
long and 1m high, rising to 1.5m, from north to south end;
extending from west pier of NW gateway to churchyard along
Church Row.
2 courses of ashlar at north end, raised with coursed squared
blocks to accommodate drop in ground level; gabled coping with
seating for missing railings for most of length, but a short
length of railing with arrow-head finials to bars survives (or
replaced) to left of gateway.
Gate piers approx 3m high, square section, chamfered plinth
and panelled sides, cornices with quatrefoil panels, 2-tier
pyramidal caps.
Overthrow has paired square-section bars linked by palmette
motif at cornice height, scrolled at each side of lantern
bracket.
HISTORICAL NOTE: now opening into the end of Kirk Ings Yard
and little used, this was one of the main entrances into the
precinct of the old Church of St Peter and continued in use
after the rebuild of 1839-41.
Before the establishment of the present line of The Calls in
c1830 to the south, the medieval routeway from the manor house
and Briggate to the east was via this lane and the churchyard
to Timble Bridge.
(Thoresby Society and Leeds City Library: Giles map of Leeds,
1815 (Reprinted): 1987-).



Listing NGR: SE3061333294

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.