History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

15 and 17, High Court Lane

A Grade II Listed Building in City and Hunslet, Leeds

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7951 / 53°47'42"N

Longitude: -1.5371 / 1°32'13"W

OS Eastings: 430586

OS Northings: 433294

OS Grid: SE305332

Mapcode National: GBR BLM.CC

Mapcode Global: WHC9D.CW80

Entry Name: 15 and 17, High Court Lane

Listing Date: 21 February 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1255924

English Heritage Legacy ID: 465453

Location: Leeds, LS2

County: Leeds

Electoral Ward/Division: City and Hunslet

Built-Up Area: Leeds

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Leeds City

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Leeds

Listing Text


LEEDS

SE3033SE HIGH COURT LANE
714-1/79/205 (East side)
21/02/92 Nos.15 AND 17

GV II

Houses, now storerooms. Late C18/early C19 with alterations to
northern end (No.15) between 1847 and 1866. Red brick, English
and random bond, grey slate roof.
3 storeys, 1 first-floor window to each house. C20 openings to
ground floor, cambered-arched windows, the top-floor window
heads just below eaves level.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: an important area of the city at the time of
their construction, built on since at least the early C18,
being close to the west side of the parish church and east of
the National School, built 1812 (demolished). No.17 probably
part of the merchant's house, No.19 (qv); the area declined as
a residential part during the C19 and particularly after the
construction of the railway line in 1869. Reputed to contain
medieval fabric, perhaps stone-built cellars. Noted as lodging
houses on the Insurance map of 1902.


Listing NGR: SE3058633294

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


LEEDS

SE3033SE HIGH COURT LANE
714-1/79/205 (East side)
21/02/92 Nos.15 AND 17

GV II

Houses, now storerooms. Late C18/early C19 with alterations to
northern end (No.15) between 1847 and 1866. Red brick, English
and random bond, grey slate roof.
3 storeys, 1 first-floor window to each house. C20 openings to
ground floor, cambered-arched windows, the top-floor window
heads just below eaves level.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: an important area of the city at the time of
their construction, built on since at least the early C18,
being close to the west side of the parish church and east of
the National School, built 1812 (demolished). No.17 probably
part of the merchant's house, No.19 (qv); the area declined as
a residential part during the C19 and particularly after the
construction of the railway line in 1869. Reputed to contain
medieval fabric, perhaps stone-built cellars. Noted as lodging
houses on the Insurance map of 1902.


Listing NGR: SE3058633294

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.