History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Chandlers

A Grade II Listed Building in City and Hunslet, Leeds

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7944 / 53°47'39"N

Longitude: -1.5345 / 1°32'4"W

OS Eastings: 430763

OS Northings: 433221

OS Grid: SE307332

Mapcode National: GBR BLM.YL

Mapcode Global: WHC9D.DWJJ

Entry Name: The Chandlers

Listing Date: 11 September 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1255931

English Heritage Legacy ID: 465460

Location: Leeds, LS2

County: Leeds

Electoral Ward/Division: City and Hunslet

Built-Up Area: Leeds

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Leeds City

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Leeds

Listing Text


LEEDS

SE3033SE THE CALLS
714-1/79/383 (South side)
Nos.90-134 AND 99-109 (Consecutive)
The Chandler's

GV II

Formerly known as: No.64 THE CALLS.
Mills, now flats. 1876, converted c1985. For William Turton.
Red brick, stone dressings, slate roof.
4 storeys and basement, corner site with 10 first-floor
windows to Crown Point Road and 6 to The Calls: triplet
windows and sill band to first and 2nd floors, round-arched
windows to top storey, small square openings, altered, to
ground floor, Crown Point Road, cambered lintels to
architraves on The Calls facade.
Corner pedestrian entrance: panelled double doors in stone
round-arched surround, raised lettering: 'WILLIAM TURTON',
carved impost blocks and keystone; above first-floor window:
'ESTD. WT 1844', above first floor: 'REBUILT 1876'. Arched
entrance to yard from The Calls has rusticated voussoirs and a
horse's head carved on the keystone; panelled double doors.
Courtyard: a tower reputed to contain a spiral stair and with
an ornate iron railing to viewing platform, possibly a former
chimney flue, against the Crown Point block.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the building was a store for horse feed at a
time when horses were vital to the businesses which had to
transport goods to and from the railway termini; William
Turton had other interests in horse transport: he was Chairman
of the Bradford Tramway and Omnibus Co., and the Leeds Tramway
Co., and was a coal merchant during the later C19. The site at
Crown Point Bridge (qv), built 1840, is on the important wharf
of that date; products arriving by boat were unloaded into the
rear yard and after processing, carried through the entrance
on The Calls for distribution. The viewing platform would have
commanded a good view of traffic on the river and the Leeds
and Liverpool Canal. Said to contain stabling on ground
floor/basement.
(Hatcher, J: The Industrial Architecture of North Yorkshire:
1985-: 122; Yorkshire Archaeological Society Industrial
Archaeology Section: Eye on the Aire Report; Chandlers
Warehouse, Crown Point Road).


Listing NGR: SE3074933197

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


LEEDS

SE3033SE THE CALLS
714-1/79/383 (South side)
Nos.90-134 AND 99-109 (Consecutive)
The Chandler's

GV II

Formerly known as: No.64 THE CALLS.
Mills, now flats. 1876, converted c1985. For William Turton.
Red brick, stone dressings, slate roof.
4 storeys and basement, corner site with 10 first-floor
windows to Crown Point Road and 6 to The Calls: triplet
windows and sill band to first and 2nd floors, round-arched
windows to top storey, small square openings, altered, to
ground floor, Crown Point Road, cambered lintels to
architraves on The Calls facade.
Corner pedestrian entrance: panelled double doors in stone
round-arched surround, raised lettering: 'WILLIAM TURTON',
carved impost blocks and keystone; above first-floor window:
'ESTD. WT 1844', above first floor: 'REBUILT 1876'. Arched
entrance to yard from The Calls has rusticated voussoirs and a
horse's head carved on the keystone; panelled double doors.
Courtyard: a tower reputed to contain a spiral stair and with
an ornate iron railing to viewing platform, possibly a former
chimney flue, against the Crown Point block.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the building was a store for horse feed at a
time when horses were vital to the businesses which had to
transport goods to and from the railway termini; William
Turton had other interests in horse transport: he was Chairman
of the Bradford Tramway and Omnibus Co., and the Leeds Tramway
Co., and was a coal merchant during the later C19. The site at
Crown Point Bridge (qv), built 1840, is on the important wharf
of that date; products arriving by boat were unloaded into the
rear yard and after processing, carried through the entrance
on The Calls for distribution. The viewing platform would have
commanded a good view of traffic on the river and the Leeds
and Liverpool Canal. Said to contain stabling on ground
floor/basement.
(Hatcher, J: The Industrial Architecture of North Yorkshire:
1985-: 122; Yorkshire Archaeological Society Industrial
Archaeology Section: Eye on the Aire Report; Chandlers
Warehouse, Crown Point Road).


Listing NGR: SE3074933197

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.