This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7209 / 53°43'15"N
Longitude: -1.8586 / 1°51'30"W
OS Eastings: 409427
OS Northings: 424950
OS Grid: SE094249
Mapcode National: GBR HTGD.DX
Mapcode Global: WHC9M.FQ5W
Plus Code: 9C5WP4CR+9H
Entry Name: 16-28, Horton Street
Listing Date: 24 February 1997
Last Amended: 2 August 2010
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1257961
English Heritage Legacy ID: 463269
Location: Calderdale, HX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Town
Built-Up Area: Halifax
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Halifax The Minster Church of St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
The entry for:-
SE 0924 NW HALIFAX HORTON STREET
Shall be replaced by:-
(Formerly listed as:
24 February 1997
Shops and offices, 1903, in ashlar, glazed brick and brick, with slate roofs.
The buildings are three storey with shop fronts facing north on to Horton Street. The north elevation to Horton Street, which incorporates Nos. 16 to 28, is in ashlar with glazed brick to the ground floor shopfronts. The east elevation has ashlar to the northern end with coursed dressed stone to the rest, also with glazed brick to the ground floor. Other elevations are of brick.
Nos. 18-22: At the right end is a three-centred arch to the yard behind, and a recessed door to the left. Left again are three shop windows with wide basket arches; each has an upper section with small square paned glazing and a recessed off-centre entrance. The first floor of these right-hand four bays are all similar with shallow oriel windows of four-lights with transoms, continuing to the second floor where the windows are four-light without transoms: all have replaced glazing. Above is a raised parapet with rounded gables above the windows each containing a lozenge motif and scrolled coping, and ball finials to either side.
Nos. 24-28: Two shop fronts have semi-circular arched windows (the right-hand with replaced glazing) and a deeply recessed arched entrance between; within the archway are doors to each shop and a central door to offices above. Windows are two-light transomed at first-floor and two-light at second-floor over the arched entrance. To either side are shallow pilasters. Flanking the central bay are slightly recessed shallow canted bays with four-lights at second-floor and four transomed lights at first-floor, all with replaced glazing. Above the second floor windows are round arched panels with tall keystones and a deep modillion cornice. Shaped gables above have flanking ball finials and there is a high balustrade over the central bay.
No. 28, at the left of the group, has a canted corner to Union Street with a recessed panel on the ground floor and two-light windows at first and second-floor. The glazed brick and ashlar style of 22-28 Horton Street is replicated for a single bay on the Union Street (east) elevation. To the left, the building continues with glazed brick at the base and coursed dressed stone above. There are two bays of windows of various shapes over three storeys, those at ground-floor blocked, with a high balustrade above a dentilled cornice.
To the rear the elevations are in plain brick. Over the arched entrance from No. 16 are two storeys of taking in doors.
Interiors were not inspected, apart from No.14, the former bakery. This is devoid of features of note.
This row of buildings on Horton Street was constructed in c.1903, comprising a cafe, three shops with workroom, a bakery and stores, according to Halifax Corporation Building Plans index. The buildings are contemporary with Nos. 8 to 12 Horton Street which adjoin them to the west, and replaced earlier buildings as the area became less industrial and more commercial in character. The 1907 OS map shows additional buildings adjoining to the rear which have subsequently been demolished through the course of the C20.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
Nos. 16 to 28 Horton Street, Halifax, a row of Edwardian shops and offices, are designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architecture: the buildings form an interesting group along with Nos. 8-12 (designated Grade II), with architectural detailing throughout, carefully designed to break up the long frontage and give the impression of an organic assemblage, with differing heights, roof treatments and shop fronts, while using linking features including recessed doorways throughout, round or basket arched windows, and small paned metal framed windows where originals survive
* Historic interest: the mixture of shops and offices, as well as a café and bakery, indicates a desire to deliver a complete package of services, in line with the rise in shopping arcades throughout the C19, and to extend the commercial area of the town into a formerly more industrial quarter. The town of Halifax was flourishing in the early C20 when the textile industry was still expanding with a large number of working mills in and around the town.
* Intactness: although some of the glazing has been replaced, the overall level of survival of original features and appearance is high for commercial premises, and only the rear portions have undergone loss
* Group value: these buildings together with Nos. 8 to 12 Horton Street form a substantial group of well preserved Edwardian commercial buildings
Other nearby listed buildings