History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Royal Oak Public House

A Grade II Listed Building in Halifax, Calderdale

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7206 / 53°43'13"N

Longitude: -1.8594 / 1°51'33"W

OS Eastings: 409376

OS Northings: 424913

OS Grid: SE093249

Mapcode National: GBR HTGF.70

Mapcode Global: WHC9M.DRT3

Entry Name: The Royal Oak Public House

Listing Date: 24 May 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1272535

English Heritage Legacy ID: 448963

Location: Calderdale, HX1

County: Calderdale

Electoral Ward/Division: Town

Built-Up Area: Halifax

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Halifax The Minster Church of St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Halifax

Listing Text

HALIFAX
SE 0924 NW
679-0/18/10203 CLARE ROAD
The Royal Oak Public House
GV II
Public house. Plan submitted 22January 1929; opened 30 July 1931. By Jackson & Fox
of Halifax for Messrs. Thomas Ramsden & Son Ltd. Woodcarving by H PJackson and son
of Coley. Snecked local sandstone of varied colours with much iron staining; ashlar
dressings. Roof of small thick slates. Vernacular revival style. 3 storeys, 6x3 irregular bays.
Elevation to Clare Road has 3 storey gabled left bay and at right a full height projecting
porch gable with swept eaves to catslide roof over door in left return of projection. Right
gable front has a porch roundel in surround of thin gauged brick-shaped stones on base of
large stone blocks. Other windows in this gable have irregular block jambs, flat stone lintels
and sloping stone sills to 4-light window and paired single lights on ground floor. On first
floor are 3 stepped, one paired and one single first floor lights and in gable peak are 1:2:1
lights, the central pair under high pointed arch blocked in stone. Beam at porch eaves has
carved picture of road transport from 1430 to 1930, and rests on round-ended wall of fine
brick-shaped stones; similar stones form corresponding pillar to left of door under catslide.
In set back gabled bay to left of catslide a triple ground floor window with lintel band, below
2-storey canted oriel on stone bracket and with timber framing between floors. Projecting
timber framed gable above has bargeboards. Left return facing Ward's End has timber frame
gable with oriel almost full width, with 8 lights on each floor; 4 oriel brackets are richly
carved, the central pair with arms and heraldic animals. Rear elevation to New Road in
similar style with tapered external stack at right of canted corner timber frame. Gables have
carved bargeboards; windows have leaded lights. Interior shows almost complete original
decorative scheme with oak panelling and beams, wood and stone C17 style chimney pieces,
stained glass motifs in C17 style using high quality glass. Said to have original fittings by
Oates and Green Limited of Halifax in gents toilets. Timber said to have come from the
breaking up of HMS Newcastle, built in 1860.


Listing NGR: SE0937624913

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.