This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0621 / 51°3'43"N
Longitude: -1.7964 / 1°47'47"W
OS Eastings: 414360
OS Northings: 129214
OS Grid: SU143292
Mapcode National: GBR 51F.8NK
Mapcode Global: FRA 7639.ZXQ
Entry Name: De Vaux House
Listing Date: 28 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1259073
English Heritage Legacy ID: 446165
Location: Salisbury, Wiltshire, SP1
Civil Parish: Salisbury
Built-Up Area: Salisbury
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
ST NICHOLAS'S ROAD
1594 (West Side)
No 6 (De Vaux House)
SU 1429 SW 5/356 28.2.52.
C17-18 front. 2 storeys and attic. Brick with lst floor string. Coved eaves
cornice and tile hung gable facing front at right hand. Old tile roof. 2 hipped
dormers. Irregular casement windows, some C19 light and some modern leaded,
and rectangular bay window centrally under gable on lst floor with interesting
carved scroll and mask wooden brackets, probably C15. Small stone buttress
at right hand corner. 2 doors - the left hand door with 3 centred arched head,
probably C15, ledged with cusped panel enrichment to upper part and flat arched
bottom panels with enriched tops. The right hand door early C19 pointed arched
with applied panel strips on ledged door. North wall of flint with stone quoins.
Carved wood Angel holding coat of arms over left hand door, C14-C15.
Originally part of the College de Valle founded by Bishop Giles Bridport in
1261 as a theological college which continued there until the Dissolution.
No 9 De Vaux Place qv and No 8 St Nicholas's Road qv were also part of it.
Nos 6 & 8 form a group with No 9 De Vaux Place.
Listing NGR: SU1435929210
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings