History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Webber House

A Grade II Listed Building in Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9872 / 51°59'13"N

Longitude: -2.1628 / 2°9'46"W

OS Eastings: 388914

OS Northings: 232093

OS Grid: SO889320

Mapcode National: GBR 1JR.611

Mapcode Global: VH93T.G9GZ

Entry Name: Webber House

Listing Date: 14 February 1985

Last Amended: 25 April 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1280322

English Heritage Legacy ID: 376761

Location: Tewkesbury, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL20

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Tewkesbury

Built-Up Area: Tewkesbury

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tewkesbury St Mary the Virgin (Tewkesbury Abbey)

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Tewkesbury

Listing Text


TEWKESBURY

SO83SE GLOUCESTER ROAD
859-1/2/180 (North East side)
14/02/85 Webber House
(Formerly Listed as:
GLOUCESTER ROAD
(North East side)
The Holm Hospital)

GV II

Retirement apartments, formerly House of Industry and Union
Workhouse. Built by Act of Parliament 1792-6, possibly to
designs of George Byfield, a designer of gaols; later a
hospital, now (1991) apartments. English bond brickwork, slate
roofs, brick stacks.
PLAN: a symmetrical composition with large square central
block with short one-bay links to narrow cross wings; the site
falls away at the back to reveal the basement level. Windows
generally are replacement tripartite plain pseudo-sashes under
brick voussoirs, and on flush bullnose brick cills.
EXTERIOR: centre block is 3 storeys and basement, in 5 bays
with windows in reducing proportions, and with approx 1.5m of
plain brickwork above the second floor lights, all under a
low-pitched hipped roof. Centre is a large late C20 steel and
glass porch on a ramp and 3 steps. Inner door under plain
square opening. Set forward by a half-brick depth the link
units in 2 storeys have sashes set in a sunk arched panel; a
third storey, rendered, with one sash, has been added, and is
slightly set back from the brick parapet.
The wings are set forward, with a sash at ground and first
floors on the returns, to a narrow one-bay gabled end
containing a lunette. Each wing has 2 large plain stacks at
the inner eaves. The whole building is on a moulded brick
plinth, and the centre block has a brick dentil eaves. Right
return is in 5 bays, the centre one having a set-back
full-height arched panel. 5 bays; C19 hipped dormers with
2-light casements over 2 floors of sashes, but central C20
wide glazed door unit with pediment, on flight of brick steps
to concrete bridge.
The NE front, facing the Abbey (qv), is similar to the street
front, but with an extra storey in the basement plinth, which
also has a central glazed door. The left wing is similar to
the right one.
The INTERIOR, which was very plain, has now been modified by
the insertion of partitions to provide multiple apartments.
This was a relatively rare example of a pre-Poor Law Amendment
Act Workhouse, and it became the Tewkesbury Union Workhouse in
1835. The late C20 alterations have removed a number of
intrusive elements, and the street frontage, recorded in 1985
as painted, has been stripped back to the brickwork. The
glazed entrance replaces a former flat concrete hood of the
1950s.
A somewhat austere, but complete and balanced design occupying
an important site in the approach to the town from the S, and
in views from the Abbey.


Listing NGR: SO8891432092

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


TEWKESBURY

SO83SE GLOUCESTER ROAD
859-1/2/180 (North East side)
14/02/85 Webber House
(Formerly Listed as:
GLOUCESTER ROAD
(North East side)
The Holm Hospital)

GV II

Retirement apartments, formerly House of Industry and Union
Workhouse. Built by Act of Parliament 1792-6, possibly to
designs of George Byfield, a designer of gaols; later a
hospital, now (1991) apartments. English bond brickwork, slate
roofs, brick stacks.
PLAN: a symmetrical composition with large square central
block with short one-bay links to narrow cross wings; the site
falls away at the back to reveal the basement level. Windows
generally are replacement tripartite plain pseudo-sashes under
brick voussoirs, and on flush bullnose brick cills.
EXTERIOR: centre block is 3 storeys and basement, in 5 bays
with windows in reducing proportions, and with approx 1.5m of
plain brickwork above the second floor lights, all under a
low-pitched hipped roof. Centre is a large late C20 steel and
glass porch on a ramp and 3 steps. Inner door under plain
square opening. Set forward by a half-brick depth the link
units in 2 storeys have sashes set in a sunk arched panel; a
third storey, rendered, with one sash, has been added, and is
slightly set back from the brick parapet.
The wings are set forward, with a sash at ground and first
floors on the returns, to a narrow one-bay gabled end
containing a lunette. Each wing has 2 large plain stacks at
the inner eaves. The whole building is on a moulded brick
plinth, and the centre block has a brick dentil eaves. Right
return is in 5 bays, the centre one having a set-back
full-height arched panel. 5 bays; C19 hipped dormers with
2-light casements over 2 floors of sashes, but central C20
wide glazed door unit with pediment, on flight of brick steps
to concrete bridge.
The NE front, facing the Abbey (qv), is similar to the street
front, but with an extra storey in the basement plinth, which
also has a central glazed door. The left wing is similar to
the right one.
The INTERIOR, which was very plain, has now been modified by
the insertion of partitions to provide multiple apartments.
This was a relatively rare example of a pre-Poor Law Amendment
Act Workhouse, and it became the Tewkesbury Union Workhouse in
1835. The late C20 alterations have removed a number of
intrusive elements, and the street frontage, recorded in 1985
as painted, has been stripped back to the brickwork. The
glazed entrance replaces a former flat concrete hood of the
1950s.
A somewhat austere, but complete and balanced design occupying
an important site in the approach to the town from the S, and
in views from the Abbey.


Listing NGR: SO8891432092

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.