History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Equestrian Statue of Stapleton Cotton Viscount Combermere

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1865 / 53°11'11"N

Longitude: -2.8936 / 2°53'36"W

OS Eastings: 340386

OS Northings: 365865

OS Grid: SJ403658

Mapcode National: GBR 79.3CM0

Mapcode Global: WH88F.J5BG

Plus Code: 9C5V54P4+JH

Entry Name: Equestrian Statue of Stapleton Cotton Viscount Combermere

Listing Date: 10 January 1972

Last Amended: 6 August 1998

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376255

English Heritage Legacy ID: 470249

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Hough Green

Listing Text


CHESTER CITY (IM)

SJ4065NW GROSVENOR ROAD
595-1/5/194 Equestrian statue of Stapleton
10/01/72 Cotton Viscount Combermere
(Formerly Listed as:
GROSVENOR ROAD
Statue of Stapleton Cotton, Viscount
Combermere, on a plinth)

GV II*

Cenotaph equestrian statue and plinth of Stapleton Cotton
Viscount Combermere. 1865. By Baron C Marochetti. Bronze
statue on granite plinth. The Viscount in field marshal's
uniform on horse at rest but alert with one hoof raised. The
south-west end of the plinth is inscribed ERECTED IN HONOUR OF
STAPLETON COTTON VISCOUNT COMBERMERE FIELD MARSHAL and the
north east end BORN. 1773. DIED. 1865. The south east side is
inscribed FLANDERS. LINCELLES. THE DOURO. TALAVERA. TORRES
VEDRAS, BUSAGO. VILLA GARCIA. LLERENA. CASTRAJON. CUIDAD
RODRIGO. ELBODON. THE PYRENEES. ORTHES. TOULOUSE and the north
west side CAPE OF GOOD HOPE. MALLAVELLY. SERINGAPATAM. WEST
INDIES. BHURTPORE
HISTORICAL NOTE: Thomas Gould, a soldier who shared with Field
Marshal Viscount Combermere the fields of Busaco, Cuidad,
Rodrigo, the Pyrenees and Toulouse is buried in the former
graveyard of St Bridget's Church, now a grassed roundabout
island 70m north-east of Viscount Combermere's cenotaph; see
Nicholas Street (qv).

Listing NGR: SJ4038665865

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.