History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chester Magistrates Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.192 / 53°11'31"N

Longitude: -2.8919 / 2°53'30"W

OS Eastings: 340508

OS Northings: 366472

OS Grid: SJ405664

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2S22

Mapcode Global: WH88F.K148

Entry Name: Chester Magistrates Court

Listing Date: 10 January 1972

Last Amended: 6 August 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376367

English Heritage Legacy ID: 470362

Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Find accommodation in
Hough Green

Listing Text


CHESTER CITY (IM)

SJ4066SE NORTHGATE STREET AND ROW
595-1/4/315 (East side)
10/01/72 Chester Magistrates Court No.3
(Formerly Listed as:
NORTHGATE STREET
(East side)
Barclays Bank)

GV II

Magistrates' court and offices, formerly part of the King's
School which included the Cathedral Choir School. 1875-7. By
Sir Arthur Blomfield. Reddish buff sandstone; brown clay tile
roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 7 bays. The wing of the former school is
expressed as the main range of a Tudor hall with the great
hall on its upper storey. Moulded plinth; buttresses; moulded
stringcourses; arched doorway with 2-light mullioned
overlight; mullioned and transomed windows of 2 and 3 lights;
all glazing to Northgate Street leaded; the south bay projects
slightly with side-buttresses; gargoyles; crenellated parapet;
coped end-gables; red terracotta ridge-tiles with
conical-roofed vents. The gable-end to St Werburgh Street has
a 2-light mullioned and transomed window to the lower storey
and a 5-light panel-traceried upper window under a 4-centre
arch. The magistrates' court wing is linked to the cathedral
by an east wing forming part of the same design, now Barclays
Bank, St Werburgh Street (qv).
INTERIOR: the courtroom and an interview room face Northgate
Street; 9-panel pine doors in heavy frames with finials;
boarding below dado-rail; decorated chamfered main beams;
plaster ceiling panels. A corridor with leaded lights to Abbey
Square runs behind the courtroom, with a stone basket archway
to a dogleg stone stair with winders at the turn and an oak
handrail on ornate iron balusters. The upper rooms could not
be inspected.
(Miscellaneous Views of Chester: Blomfield AW: Engraving:
Proposed new building for King's School: 1875-).


Listing NGR: SJ4050766474

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.