History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Numbers 12-42 and Attached Railings to Numbers 16 and 18 and 20a

A Grade II* Listed Building in Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2924 / 52°17'32"N

Longitude: -1.5361 / 1°32'9"W

OS Eastings: 431738

OS Northings: 266134

OS Grid: SP317661

Mapcode National: GBR 6NJ.8GL

Mapcode Global: VHBXJ.BM9Z

Entry Name: Numbers 12-42 and Attached Railings to Numbers 16 and 18 and 20a

Listing Date: 19 November 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1381407

English Heritage Legacy ID: 481768

Location: Royal Leamington Spa, Warwick, Warwickshire, CV32

County: Warwickshire

District: Warwick

Civil Parish: Royal Leamington Spa

Built-Up Area: Royal Leamington Spa

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire

Church of England Parish: Leamington Spa Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Coventry

Find accommodation in
Leamington Spa

Listing Text


ROYAL LEAMINGTON SPA

SP3166SE PARADE
1208-1/2/261 (West side)
19/11/53 Nos.12-42 (Even)
and attached railings to Nos 16, 18
AND 20A

GV II*

Includes: No.59 WARWICK STREET.
Terrace of 16 houses, some probably with shops, now shops,
offices and flats and attached railings to Nos 16, 18 and 20A.
Numbered right to left, described left to right. c1827-36 with
later additions and alterations including ranges to rear,
late-C19 shop fronts, mid-late C20 ground floors and shop
fronts, also repaired and restored facade to Nos 22 and 24
with rebuilding to rear.
Pinkish-brown brick in English Garden Wall bond with painted
stucco front and side facades, concealed and Welsh slate roofs
and cast-iron balconies and railings.
PLAN: double-depth.
EXTERIOR: terrace in 2 stages of build, arranged 7:9 (Nos
30-42, and Nos 12-28). 4 storeys with basement to 4th dwelling
from right (No.18), 38 first-floor windows, arranged
2:3:3:3:3:3:3:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2.
Three ranges, stepped between 6th and 7th dwelling (Nos 28 &
30) and between 11th and 12th (Nos 18 & 20). Those 11
dwellings to left project.
Stucco detailing includes remains of horizontal rustication to
ground floor; first and second floors have tall Ionic
pilasters to ends of each stepped range and between dwellings,
fluted to left, plain to right; second-floor band to left
range, missing to sixth dwelling.
First floor: seventeen 6-pane French windows with divided
overlights; two tall 4/4 sashes; six tall 6/9 sashes; 9/6
sash; 11 tall 6/9 sashes, all with plain reveals.
Second floor: mainly 6/6 sashes throughout, except 35th window
a 3/6 sash, plain reveals and sills throughout. Stepped frieze
and cornice.
Third floor: mainly 3/6 sashes; 4th, 10th, and 11th windows
are 6/6 sashes, all with plain reveals. Cornice to right (Nos
12-28); blocking course and copings throughout. Tall ridge
stacks between dwellings, except to Nos 22-28.
Ground floor: some original entrances remain: Nos 40, 38, 34
and 32 have distyle Ionic porches with entablature. Nos 28,
20a, 18, 16A and 14A have rusticated cambered arches, those to
Nos 18, 16A and 14A have part-glazed, panelled double doors

with thin pilasters and side-lights (these with glazing bars
to Nos 16A & 14A), cambered overlights with glazing bars and
with 5 and 6 roll-edged steps to each. To No.18 a tripartite
window divided by fluted pilasters with panelled apron and
cornice, 12-pane casement between 8-pane casements; basement
has 8/8 sash.
To No.14, a projecting shop front of 2 canted bays with
plinth, pilasters to angles, central entrance, frieze,
cornice.
To No.20, projecting shop front has 3 Doric pillars, plinth,
plate-glass windows, smaller Corinthian column to return,
frieze, cornice.
Continuous balconies to each range to first floor, to left
with circle and lozenge motif; to centre with Carron Company
double-heart-and-anthemion motif, to right with
double-rod-and-anthemion motif.
To rear: many 6/6 and 3/6 sashes with plain reveals and sills.
Left return: 4 storeys, 3 first-floor windows, and further
2-storey, 1 first-floor window extension.
Main range: ground floor has remains of plinth and horizontal
rustication. Tall, fluted Ionic pilasters to first and second
floors to ends surmounted by frieze and cornice. Second-floor
band. First floor has 6-pane French windows with divided
overlights, that to centre with margin-lights. Second floor
has 6/6 sashes, sills. Third floor has 3/6 sashes. All windows
with plain reveals. Blocking course, copings.
Further range: moulded plinth. Entrance to right a part-glazed
door with roll-moulded lower panel, overlight, within doorcase
of engaged Tuscan pilasters on plinths, frieze, cornice. To
left a 2/2 sash with apron in similar surround. Moulded
first-floor band. First floor to left, 2/2 sash with apron
within moulded surround on plinths. Cornice, stack to left.
INTERIOR: No.18 has dogleg staircases with cast-iron balusters
to ground floor with decorative scrolls and anthemion motifs
to fluted rods. From first to second floors are stick
balusters. No.20 has narrow-openwell staircase from first
floor with remains of tapered rod-on-bobbin balusters and
stick balusters. First floors to Nos 18 and 20 have classical
motifs to cornices, ceiling roses, some marble fireplaces,
shutters to some windows, 4-panel doors, first-floor drawing
room survives intact to No.20. No.14A has dogleg staircase
with stick balusters and wreathed handrail.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings to entrances, and to area of
No.18 (with gate) have bars with anthemion finials and dogbars
with lozenge finials, urn finials to gatepost; to basement
steps are stick balusters. Railings to No.20 renewed.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Parade was so-named in 1860, originally
Lillington Lane, it was renamed Union Row c1809 and then Union

Parade by 1814. Houses to Lower Parade were built c1808-14,
with Upper Parade, west side built c1827-40. All town centre
buildings were constructed as houses, lodging-houses or
hotels, by 1850 many on the Parade had become shops.
No.59 Warwick Street adjoins No.59A (qv).
(Cave LF: Royal Leamington Spa Its History and Development:
Chichester: 1988-: 33, 38-39).

ROYAL LEAMINGTON SPA

SP3166SE WARWICK STREET
1208-1/2/261 (North side)
19/11/53 No.59

GV II*

See under: Nos.12-42 and attached railings to Nos 16, 18 AND
20A PARADE.

Listing NGR: SP3173866134

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.