This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3557 / 52°21'20"N
Longitude: -2.6566 / 2°39'23"W
OS Eastings: 355374
OS Northings: 273278
OS Grid: SO553732
Mapcode National: GBR BN.SNNG
Mapcode Global: VH84B.W1XX
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383694
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484126
Location: Caynham, Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Caynham
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Caynham
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO57SE Church of St Mary
Church. C12 tower, C12 nave and chancel rebuilt and extended
1885 by James Brookes.
MATERIALS: stone rubble with ashlar dressings to tower.
Rusticated coursed stone to C19 rebuild. Plain-tile roofs with
pyramid tower roof, ashlar coped chancel gable, ornamental
PLAN: chancel with north vestry, nave with north aisle and
south porch, west tower.
EXTERIOR: chancel is 1885 rebuild with 3-light Decorated-style
east window with cusped cinquefoils. Ashlar-gabled diagonal
and side buttresses, gabled vestry projection with chimney
stack with rounded ashlar shafts. Rebuild incorporates
restored Decorated cusped lancet to north wall and 2 in the
south wall where there is an additional twin-cusped lancet
with quatrefoil over. Nave: 1885 rebuild of south wall with 3
tall lancets, one of which is a reset Norman lancet with
dogtooth dressed lintel. Reset and restored Norman south door
with dogtooth and chevron arch and scalloped capital and with
C19 tympanum and abaci. 1885 north aisle wall with broad flat
buttresses and 4 lancets, incorporating reset Norman lancet,
and former east window of 2 cusped lights with vesica over
reset in west aisle wall. South porch of 1885: stone with
tiled roof. 2-stage west tower: Transitional west doorway with
hoodmoulds on eroded figure-head imposts. Upper tower stage
with lancets. Roll-moulded string course around base.
INTERIOR: chancel with ribbed stone-vaulted roof springing off
C13 corbels with Early English moulding and undercut abaci.
Corbels probably reset. Transitional triple chancel arch with
central tall archway and arched side openings, all with plain
chamfered imposts and raised roll-moulded hoodmoulds on nave
side only. Nave: roof from 1885 rebuild of 8 bays with 9 pine
trusses, arched braced with scissor-struts over collar and
with clasped purlins. Aisle arcade of 3 arches on scalloped
capitals on large round shafts of 1885 date. Early English
(An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire:
Cranage D H S: 1895-).
Listing NGR: SO5537473278
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings