This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3556 / 52°21'20"N
Longitude: -2.6565 / 2°39'23"W
OS Eastings: 355386
OS Northings: 273265
OS Grid: SO553732
Mapcode National: GBR BN.SNPL
Mapcode Global: VH84B.W2Z0
Entry Name: Churchyard Cross in Churchyard of St Mary
Listing Date: 12 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383696
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484128
Location: Caynham, Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Caynham
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Caynham
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO57SE Churchyard Cross in churchyard of St
Churchyard cross. Medieval, probably C14. Ashlar. 2.4 metres
tapering square-section cross shaft on a stone base resting on
3 stone steps. Cross shaft with vestigial crocket decoration
along the angles. Head missing. Base has carved panels to east
and west sides, with carved corners, surmounted by cable
moulding. East panel has a shield supported by an angel
showing the passion nails. West side has a cusped arched
central niche with small niches each side. Corners have much
eroded figurative carvings, reputed to be the 4 Evangelists.
Top step original. Bottom 2 steps restored.
Listing NGR: SO5538673265
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings