This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.354 / 52°21'14"N
Longitude: -2.6623 / 2°39'44"W
OS Eastings: 354987
OS Northings: 273090
OS Grid: SO549730
Mapcode National: GBR BN.STGF
Mapcode Global: VH84B.S3X7
Plus Code: 9C4V983Q+J3
Entry Name: Willow Cottage (Number 8)
Listing Date: 3 November 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1383703
English Heritage Legacy ID: 484135
Location: Caynham, Shropshire, SY8
Civil Parish: Caynham
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Caynham
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO57SW CAYNHAM ROAD
482-1/9/214 (North side)
03/11/93 Nos.8 AND 9
Willow Cottage (No.8)
Pair of attached estate houses. Dated 1870. By John Birch for
Edgar Francis Egerton Curtis of Caynham Court (qv). Stone
rubble with freestone dressings; some brick at rear. Steeply
pitched and gabled tile roof with alternating blue and red
crested ridge tiles. Large central red brick stack with blue
brick shafts and bands and stone tablet inscribed: C 1870.
PLAN: Pair of attached houses with mirror-image plans, each
with living room at front, entrance lobby and stairs at side
and smaller service room at back. The rear outshuts are
probably later C19 additions.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 2-bay front with 2 large
gables. Chamfered dressed stone window frames; ground floor
larger with 3-light mullioned and transomed casements with
glazing bars; first floor with similar but smaller 2-light
casements without transoms, that to left replaced by C20
casement. Square ventilation holes over ground-floor windows
and slits in gables. Side gables similar but with 3-light
first-floor and single-light ground-floor windows. Porches in
front angles with shaped bargeboards to gabled canopies and
chamfered stone depressed 2-centred arched doorways with plank
doors. Smaller central gable at rear with brick outshut below.
INTERIOR: No.8 plain with some of the joinery replaced.
HISTORY: a similar, but not identical, pair of houses by John
Birch was awarded a prize by the Society of Arts, and was
illustrated in The Builder (31 December 1864). In one of the
books John Birch wrote on estate buildings an almost identical
pair to this is illustrated.
Listing NGR: SO5498773090
Other nearby listed buildings