History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

High Laning Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Dent, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2782 / 54°16'41"N

Longitude: -2.4573 / 2°27'26"W

OS Eastings: 370319

OS Northings: 487042

OS Grid: SD703870

Mapcode National: GBR CL8Z.S5

Mapcode Global: WH94C.7Q3N

Entry Name: High Laning Farmhouse

Listing Date: 14 June 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1383996

English Heritage Legacy ID: 484428

Location: Dent, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA10

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Dent

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Dent with Cowgill

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Dent

Listing Text


DENT

SD7087 THE LANING, Dent Town
162-1/24/202 (South side (off))
14/06/84 High Laning Farmhouse

GV II

Farmhouse. Probably early C18 (spice cupboard dated 1708);
enlarged and altered. Mixed random rubble with quoins, the
facade painted white; stone slate roof. L-plan formed by
single-depth 2-unit main range with a rear wing to the left
half, extended and enlarged with a 1-unit addition to the east
end and a longer rear wing to that.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys (plus unexpressed attic), 2+5 windows,
with a ragged vertical joint. The 5-window main range (the
windows grouped 3:2, and those to the right at a slightly
lower level) has a segmental-headed doorway below the 3rd
window, with rubble voussoirs and arch-band, and a C20 glazed
door; two windows to the left and 2 to the right at ground
floor, all almost-square 6-pane sashes with vertical glazing
bars only; and 5 similar windows above. The 2-window extension
to the left has a doorway with stone lintel abutting the
junction and 2 windows on each floor, those at ground floor
slightly smaller and with stone lintels, but otherwise all
like those of the main range. Ridge chimney at the junction,
square corbelled chimneys at both ends, that to the left
corbelled from 1st floor and the other at the apex. Rear: main
range and its wing have random through-stones; small lean-to
addition in angle; 3 offset stair-windows in gable of this
wing, of diminishing size and the topmost blocked. Larger
added wing has altered windows and lean-to porch at gable end.
INTERIOR (ground floor of main range only): housepart has 2
large lateral beams and left of chimney-breast a carved
decorated spice cupboard lettered "1708 / TLM"; altered
parlour has 2 large axial beams.


Listing NGR: SD7031987042

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.