This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0767 / 51°4'36"N
Longitude: -4.0558 / 4°3'20"W
OS Eastings: 256082
OS Northings: 132829
OS Grid: SS560328
Mapcode National: GBR KR.DDCB
Mapcode Global: FRA 26D8.MRM
Entry Name: 17, Litchdon Street
Listing Date: 31 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385207
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485669
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX32
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Barnstaple Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5632 LITCHDON STREET
684-1/5/191 (North East side)
Formerly known as: Litchdon Terrace LITCHDON STREET.
House, now offices. 1821, with minor alterations later in C19
and in 1925. Solid, rendered walls. Slated roof with low
parapets on gable-ends; latter have red brick chimneys with
projecting brick-course and moulded cap forming an
entablature. Double-fronted. 2 rooms deep, with central
entrance-passage leading to rear staircase.
3 storeys. 3-window range. Windows flat-headed with moulded
architraves and cills; later sashes with horns, having 2
upright glazing bars forming margin-panes. Round-arched
doorway recessed within a larger round arch having moulded
architrave. 6-panelled door with knocker, flanked by
pilasters; plain fanlight. Pilaster at each end of front, that
on right shared with No.18 (qv). Moulded eaves cornice.
Several barred sashes in rear wall.
INTERIOR: in 1985 had rooms with moulded cornices, some
enriched, on ground floor. Original wooden chimneypiece in
right-hand front room. Large segmental-arched opening (then
blocked) with moulded architrave, between left-hand front and
back rooms. Entrance lobby had ceiling with groined plaster
vault, the latter with small flower in centre. Passage had
moulded cornice and 2 doors with 6 ovolo-moulded panels.
Staircase rebuilt in 1925 by Mr Thorne of Bear Street; turned
balusters in early Georgian style with Jacobean turned newels.
On left-hand side of back garden was an old cob wall, probably
pre-dating the house.
HISTORICAL NOTE: in 1821 the Corporation leased the sites of
Nos 17 & 18 (qv) to Nicholas Glass, who had 'erected and built
2 good and substantial dwelling houses on the premises .... on
a certain plan and elevation approved of by them.' No.19 had
been 'lately erected' by Philip Hodge of Barnstaple, builder,
who may have built the whole terrace. The lease includes a
plan of the house as existing (allowing for obvious
alterations). The Corporation sold the freehold in 1925. Part
of a formerly uniform terrace including Nos 18, 19 & 20 (qv).
(Barnstaple Borough Records: BOX 19/4; Title Deed).
Listing NGR: SS5608232829
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings