This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0765 / 51°4'35"N
Longitude: -4.0554 / 4°3'19"W
OS Eastings: 256106
OS Northings: 132805
OS Grid: SS561328
Mapcode National: GBR KR.DDFL
Mapcode Global: FRA 26D8.MX3
Entry Name: 20, Litchdon Street
Listing Date: 31 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385210
English Heritage Legacy ID: 485672
Location: Barnstaple, North Devon, Devon, EX32
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Barnstaple
Built-Up Area: Barnstaple
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Barnstaple Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5632 LITCHDON STREET
684-1/5/194 (North East side)
Formerly known as: Litchdon Terrace LITCHDON STREET.
House, now offices; part of a terrace including Nos 17, 18 &
19 (qv). 1821, remodelled in mid C19 and rebuilt at the rear
in about 1882. Solid rendered walls, probably of stone or
brick; the later rear wing, fronting Barbican Terrace, is at
least partly of yellow brick. Slated roof with red
ridge-tiles. Low parapet on left-hand gable, this being
surmounted by an old red brick chimney shared with No.19 (qv).
Yellow brick chimney on right-hand gable. Double-fronted,
double-depth; considerably altered in ground storey.
2 storeys. 3-window range, the right-hand window developed as
a canted bay. Windows have eared architraves with plain
sashes; front ground-storey light of bay is a French window.
Round-arched centre doorway with eared architrave; glazed
door. Pilaster at each end of front, that on left shared with
No.19 (qv). Moulded eaves cornice; bay window finished with
HISTORICAL NOTE: in 1821 this house, 'then lately built by
him', was leased by the Corporation to John Gould of
Barnstaple, mason. In 1882 it was leased to Charles E Pronger
of Barnstaple, surgeon, who agreed to spend »500 on 'new
buildings alterations and repairs.' Nos 17-20 (qv) were
formerly known as Litchdon Terrace. Part of a formerly uniform
terrace including Nos 17, 18 & 19 (qv).
(Barnstaple Castle Documents; lease No 4866, Surveys Vol 185:
Listing NGR: SS5610632805
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings