This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5068 / 51°30'24"N
Longitude: -0.1019 / 0°6'6"W
OS Eastings: 531830
OS Northings: 180362
OS Grid: TQ318803
Mapcode National: GBR PG.80
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.6D06
Plus Code: 9C3XGV4X+P7
Entry Name: Hoptons Almshouses, Hopton Gardens
Listing Date: 2 March 1950
Last Amended: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385621
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471025
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Southwark Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3180 HOPTON STREET
636-1/1/446 (East side)
02/03/50 Nos.1-9 (Consecutive)
Hopton's Almshouses, Hopton Gardens
(Formerly Listed as:
Almshouses. 1746-9, partly rebuilt and modernised C20. Built
by Thomas Ellis and William Cooley to designs of Mr Batterson,
trustee of Charles Hopton's will and a builder.
MATERIALS: brick with rusticated stone quoins; tiled roofs
with overhanging eaves, hipped at ends; some roofs renewed.
PLAN: 2 linked blocks, forming the northern range of
originally 28 almshouses, grouped around 3 sides of a garden.
Western end of range, originally Nos 1-3, is a C-shaped block,
rebuilt after war damage, now adapted as 6 dwellings; linked
by a brick arch to a range, originally of 4 (now Nos 7-9); all
buildings modernised and re-opened 1988.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 2 bays each; some doors now replaced with
windows. Ground-floor openings with segmental, gauged red
brick arches; sash windows with glazing bars in plain reveals
to both floors.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: TQ3183080362
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings