This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5067 / 51°30'24"N
Longitude: -0.1015 / 0°6'5"W
OS Eastings: 531854
OS Northings: 180349
OS Grid: TQ318803
Mapcode National: GBR PG.C2
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.6D69
Plus Code: 9C3XGV4X+M9
Entry Name: Hoptons Almshouses Hopton Gardens
Listing Date: 2 March 1950
Last Amended: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385622
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471026
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Southwark Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3180 HOPTON STREET
636-1/1/447 (East side)
02/03/50 Nos.10 AND 11
Hopton's Almshouses, Hopton Gardens
(Formerly Listed as:
Almshouses and committee room. 1746-9. Built by Thomas Ellis
and William Cooley to designs of Mr Batterson, trustee of
Charles Hopton's will and a builder; house on right rebuilt
after war damage; all buildings modernised and re-opened 1988.
MATERIALS: brick with rusticated stone quoins; hipped tiled
roof (renewed) with overhanging eaves.
PLAN: forms the central block of a group of (originally) 28
almshouses, ranged around 3 sides of a garden (this block on
the eastern side).
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, each almshouse 2 bays, the central
committee room of 3 bays pedimented and slightly projecting.
Central entrance has 6-panelled door with timber surround,
consoled cornice and foundation tablet above: "Chas. Hopton
Esq sole founder of this charity Anno 1752". Entrance flanked
by tall sash windows with glazing bars, round-arched with
keystoned architraves and bracketed sills.
Almshouses have gauged red brick segmental arches to
ground-floor openings, sash windows with glazing bars in plain
reveals to both floors.
INTERIOR: committee room panelled with shouldered fireplace
and heavy overmantel and recessed panels.
Listing NGR: TQ3185480349
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings