This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5065 / 51°30'23"N
Longitude: -0.1018 / 0°6'6"W
OS Eastings: 531832
OS Northings: 180330
OS Grid: TQ318803
Mapcode National: GBR PG.83
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.6D0F
Entry Name: Hoptons Almshouses, Hopton Gardens
Listing Date: 2 March 1950
Last Amended: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385623
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471027
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Southwark Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3180 HOPTON STREET
636-1/1/448 (East side)
02/03/50 Nos.12-21 (Consecutive)
Hopton's Almshouses, Hopton Gardens
(Formerly Listed as:
Almshouses. 1746-9, 1825, partly rebuilt C20. Built by Thomas
Ellis and William Cooley to designs of Mr Batterson, trustee
of Charles Hopton's will and a builder; 2 extra houses added
1825, rebuilt after war damage; all buildings modernised and
MATERIALS: brick with rusticated stone quoins; tiled roofs
with overhanging eaves, hipped at ends; some roofs renewed.
PLAN: 2 linked blocks, forming the southern range of
originally 28 almshouses, grouped around 3 sides of a garden.
Western end of this range is a C-shaped block (with the later
2 houses projecting at the south west corner), now adapted as
7 dwellings, linked by a brick arch to a range, orginally of 4
(now Nos 12-14).
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 2 bays each; some doors now replaced with
windows. Ground-floor openings with segmental, gauged red
brick arches; sash windows with glazing bars in plain reveals
to both floors.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Listing NGR: TQ3183280330
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings