This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5056 / 51°30'20"N
Longitude: -0.1003 / 0°6'1"W
OS Eastings: 531940
OS Northings: 180228
OS Grid: TQ319802
Mapcode National: GBR PG.MG
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.6FT5
Plus Code: 9C3XGV4X+6V
Entry Name: 89, Southwark Street
Listing Date: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385926
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471346
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Saviour with All Hallows Southwark
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3180 SOUTHWARK STREET
636-1/1/711 (South side)
Warehouse and offices, now offices. c1880. Grey brick relieved
by courses of red brick with fine stone detail. Roof obscured
by brick parapet.
4 storeys, 8-window range. Elevation has round-arched base,
with upper floors set back behind giant piers with cornice at
roof level. All upper-floor windows are flat-arched and
bisected by colonnettes. The top floor windows are surmounted
by a great stone lintel carried by main piers. Windows of 1st
and 2nd floors have their own stone lintels under decorative
relieving arches in red and grey brick. The arches above the
1st-floor windows have the additional feature of stone
rosettes in square frames offset by red tiled surrounds.
Similar rosettes decorate the piers on the ground floor. All
the glazing is authentic but the doors at either end of the
building are C20 replacements.
A large hoist bracket between the 6th and 7th bays of the 1st
INTERIOR: not inspected.
The most distinctive feature of the building, apart from its
"stripped" Classical style, is the subtle use of contrasting
textures and colours, all of which makes for a most refined
commercial design. Built subsequent to the laying out of
Southwark Street in 1863-5.
Listing NGR: TQ3194080228
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings