This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5059 / 51°30'21"N
Longitude: -0.1013 / 0°6'4"W
OS Eastings: 531871
OS Northings: 180258
OS Grid: TQ318802
Mapcode National: GBR PG.DC
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.6D9Y
Plus Code: 9C3XGV4X+9F
Entry Name: Former Fire Station
Listing Date: 17 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1385927
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471347
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Southwark Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3180 SOUTHWARK STREET
636-1/1/712 (South side)
Former Fire Station
Fire station, now offices. 1867-8. By Edward Creasy the
Younger. For the Metropolitan Fire Brigade. Red brick front,
stock brick to rear. Contrasting black and white brick with
stone dressings used decoratively in the main facade. The
building has a flat-iron plan and 4 storeys. The roof obscured
by brick cornice.
9-window range: 3rd floor with 2x2 sashes under polychromatic,
flat brick arches; 2nd floor with 2x4 sashes with rounded
heads under pointed brick arches, the tympana filled with
faceted red brick; ground-floor with 2x4 sashes with round
heads under pointed brick arches. Most of the glazing is
authentic but doors in the 3rd and 7th bays are C20
replacements. Scattered fenestration to rear elevation.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
This is the earliest surviving inner-city London fire station
and was used as such until 1877, when it was superseded by the
one in Southwark Bridge Road, No.94 (qv). Forms a good group
with No.99 Southwark Street (qv).
Listing NGR: TQ3187180258
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings