This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.4845 / 53°29'4"N
Longitude: -2.2493 / 2°14'57"W
OS Eastings: 383556
OS Northings: 398672
OS Grid: SJ835986
Mapcode National: GBR DHF.NW
Mapcode Global: WHB9G.FP42
Plus Code: 9C5VFQM2+R7
Entry Name: 10 and 12, Blackfriars Street
Listing Date: 12 August 1976
Last Amended: 20 October 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1386082
English Heritage Legacy ID: 471506
Location: Salford, M3
Electoral Ward/Division: Ordsall
Built-Up Area: Salford
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Salford Sacred Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SJ8398NE BLACKFRIARS STREET
949-1/21/8 (West side)
12/08/76 Nos.10 AND 12
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.10 AND 12
Formerly known as: No.10 BLACKFRIARS STREET.
Warehouse and offices. Dated 1884. By FH Oldham of Manchester.
Ashlar-faced. Flemish Renaissance style.
EXTERIOR: 5 storeys and attic, 5 unequal bays, forming almost
continuous band of fenestration at each floor. Doorway to
right, with 3-light mullioned and transomed windows each side
of a single-light window, all recessed and with decorative
ironwork grilles. Steep pediment over door, carried on
pilasters sprung from corbels, with traceried overlight above
segmental archway. Entrance to rear to right of doorway, with
cast-iron gates. Upper floors articulated by pilasters
defining the bays. Paired central lights and outer oriel
windows to first floor. Oriels continue to second floor with
strapwork decoration above first floor, pediments over second
floor. Coved frieze depicting paired winged dragons over
paired central second-floor windows. Third and 4th floors have
low mullioned and transomed windows linked by pilaster strips,
the bays divided by polygonal pilasters with Corinthian
capitals. Balconette and pediment to central paired windows at
5th floor, and pedimented Dutch gable over central 3 bays,
with traceried attic windows and polygonal pilasters
terminating in heraldic finials.
To the left, a later addition dated 1916 has single-storey
advanced section with 4-centred arched doorway and embattled
parapet with frieze and forms a continuation of the decoration
of Nos 14 & 16 Blackfriars Street (qv). Recessed behind this,
a 3-storey brick block with 3-light stone mullioned and
transomed window with 4-centred relieving arch over each
floor, and machicolated cornice to parapet.
INTERIOR not inspected.
Listing NGR: SJ8356798657
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings