History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fullwood Park

A Grade II Listed Building in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8926 / 51°53'33"N

Longitude: -2.0836 / 2°5'0"W

OS Eastings: 394344

OS Northings: 221563

OS Grid: SO943215

Mapcode National: GBR 2MB.81Q

Mapcode Global: VH947.TPVH

Plus Code: 9C3VVWV8+2H

Entry Name: Fullwood Park

Listing Date: 12 March 1955

Last Amended: 26 November 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1387978

English Heritage Legacy ID: 475974

Location: Park, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL50

County: Gloucestershire

Electoral Ward/Division: Park

Built-Up Area: Cheltenham

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Leckhampton St Philip and St James

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


630-1/17/872 (West side)
12/03/55 No.21
Fullwood Park
(Formerly Listed as:
Stratford House)


Villa, now part of Cheltenham and Gloucester College of Higher
Education. c1823-34 with later additions and alterations
including probably late C19 range to rear. Probably by Edward
Jenkins for developer James Fisher. Stucco over brick with
hipped slate roof and off-centre rear stucco stack with
cornice. Double depth plan with central hallway and extension
to rear.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys on basement, 5 first-floor windows with
single-storey ranges to sides. Stucco detailing includes
first-floor band, second-floor sill band; tooled architraves
to windows, those to first floor have frieze and cornice, that
to centre has pediment. 6/6 sashes where original, in plain
reveals and with sills, those to second floor on feet; blind
boxes remain. Central entrance in pedimented tetrastyle Doric
porch with fluted columns and triglyphs and metopes, now
glazed with double part-glazed doors with sidelights and
overlight with glazing bars; within are 6-panel double doors
with sidelights and overlight. End ranges break forwards and
have pilasters to angles and crowning entablature, replacement
1/1 sashes, in tooled surrounds with cornice on console
brackets; further range to right has C20 glazed doors. Left
return has three 6/6 between 2/2 sashes. Extension to rear has
2-storey canted bay with 1/1 sashes.
INTERIOR: retains many original features including central
hallway with Minton tile floor and open-well staircase with
iron balustrade with circle-and-lozenge motif balusters,
wreathed mahogany handrail, egg-and-dart with acanthus
cornice, skylight. Original joinery includes panelled shutters
to window and panelled doors. Otherwise not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Suffolk Square occupies land bought by the
Earl of Suffolk from the de la Bere's, on which he built
Suffolk House for his own residence; his daughter later sold
much of the land, on which Suffolk Square now stands. James
Fisher acquired land for the development in 1823. The Square
is shown as built on Merrett's Map of 1834.
All listed items in Suffolk Square form a very distinguished

(Blake S: Notes; Merrett HS: Plan of the Town of Cheltenham:

Listing NGR: SO9442821532

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.