This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4985 / 51°29'54"N
Longitude: -0.1042 / 0°6'15"W
OS Eastings: 531692
OS Northings: 179434
OS Grid: TQ316794
Mapcode National: GBR NK.R0
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.4LSL
Entry Name: The Duke of Clarence Public House
Listing Date: 14 June 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389679
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488387
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Southwark St George the Martyr with St Alphage and St Jude
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 3179 LONDON ROAD
14-JUN-00 The Duke of Clarence Public House
Public house, c1820. General design almost certainly by William Mountague, surveyor to the City of London. Brick with painted stucco dressings and parapeted roof with brick stacks. Canted plan with concave 4-window front to St. George's Circus, a single-window front to Borough Road and a 3-window front to London Road. 4 storeys and basement. First floor 1/1 and 2/2 sashes to St. George's Circus with 3/3 sashes on both floors over, 1/1 sash with 3/3 sashes over to Borough road and, to London Road, 1/1 sashes and 3/3 sashes or blanked windows over. To ground floor a continuous late C19 pub front with Corinthian pilasters and entablature, moulded window frames and panelled doors.
INTERIOR: Ground floor mainly opened up but some late C19 bar fittings still in situ. 2 original stick baluster staircases with turned columnar newel posts rising up to 3rd floor. Veined white marble chimney-piece in 1st floor room and some door and window surrounds as well as boarded chimney-pieces in rooms on upper floors. This public house, first leased to John Panton, victualler, in 1820, and still in use as a pub, forms a significant group with the Obelisk in St. George's Circus (qv), Nos. 123-131 London Road (qv) and 113-119 Borough Road (qv) both adjoining, and the former Presbyterian Chapel (qv) and the St.George the Martyr Library (qv), both also in Borough Road.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings