This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4986 / 51°29'54"N
Longitude: -0.1039 / 0°6'13"W
OS Eastings: 531713
OS Northings: 179445
OS Grid: TQ317794
Mapcode National: GBR NJ.TZ
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.4LYJ
Entry Name: 113-119, Borough Road
Listing Date: 14 June 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389680
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488388
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Southwark St George the Martyr with St Alphage and St Jude
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 3179 BOROUGH ROAD
Terrace of houses and shops, mostly unoccupied at time of inspection. c.1820-6. General design also most certainly by William Mountague, Surveyor to the City of London. Gault brick with parapeted roofs and brick stacks. 3 storeys, basements and some attics. Each house is a 2-window range with arcade at first floor. These windows which have gauged brick arches are all blocked at present. Above are 4/4 sashes to No.113, 2/6 and 2/2 sashes to No.114, 8/8 sashes to No.115, boarded window and altered sash to No.116, 8/8 sashes to No.117, and 6/6 sashes to Nos.118 and 119. The ground floors are boarded except for doorway and panelled door at No.117, a shopfront of c.1820 at No. 118 and a doorway and panelled door and partly C20 shopfront at No. 119. Left end to Rotary Street has a 3-window range of blank windows with Portland stone cills, above boarded ground floor. Right end adjoins The Duke of Clarence Public House, No.132 London Road (qv).
INTERIOR: No. 117 alone inspected. Basement front room retains cast-iron range and fire surround, rear room a small open fireplace, copper and stone sink. Stick baluster staircase survives in part. 1st floor front room has dado rail and dado panelling, cupboards and double dividing doors. 2nd floor front retains marble fireplace with reeded surround, and panelled door. Small attic stair intact.
This terrace forms a significant group with the Duke of Clarence PH, No.132 London Road (adjacent and qv), the former Presbyterian Chapel (qv) and the St.George the Martyr Library (qv), both Borough road, the Obelisk, St. George's Circus (qv), and Nos.123-131 London Road (qv).
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings