History in Structure

Lindsay Street Works, North Lindsay Street, Dundee

A Category B Listed Building in Dundee, Dundee

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.4608 / 56°27'38"N

Longitude: -2.9771 / 2°58'37"W

OS Eastings: 339887

OS Northings: 730278

OS Grid: NO398302

Mapcode National: GBR Z95.TQ

Mapcode Global: WH7RB.7VLY

Plus Code: 9C8VF26F+85

Entry Name: Lindsay Street Works, North Lindsay Street, Dundee

Listing Name: 80 North Lindsay Street, 29, 31 South Ward Road and Return Elevation to Johnston Street, Lindsay Street Mill

Listing Date: 18 May 1987

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 361234

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25085

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200361234

Location: Dundee

County: Dundee

Town: Dundee

Electoral Ward: Maryfield

Traditional County: Angus

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


James MacLaren and George Shaw Aitken, 1874-5, extended to
South Ward Road by Aitken in 1881. 3-storey and attic jute
mill with French Gothic tower to Lindsay St and engine
house in yard, extended by a wider 12-bay block to a tight
gusset and 7-bay wing at South Ward Road. Rubble-built with
ashlar quoins and dressings.
North Lindsay St elevation dominated by bold French
Gothic 5-storey 1-by 2-bay stair tower with bowed W
elevation for chute. Flat, stilted arched and round-headed
windows on encircling band course, corbelled at 3rd floor
and oculus to E. 2-by 4-light segmental arched lantern.
Pseudo machicolated pierced parapet with angle pinnacles.
Banded fishscale slate roof with wrought-iron finials.
3-bay facade of mill has 2-bay gable flanked by channelled
pilaster strips, ground floor windows altered to doors,
2 round-headed 2nd floor windows and attic wheel window.
NW corner becomes a 1-by 2-bay tower above roof line with
oculi and pierced parapet.
21-bay elevation to Johnston St quoined between 9th and
10th bays to separate 1874 and 1881 blocks. Tight gusset
of Johnston St and South Ward Road quoined, with armorial
and nail-head mouldings, machicolation and short
castellated parapet. 7-bay elevation to South Ward Road
with 3 bays at ground floor altered. Segmental arched
hood-moulded pend to yard. Similar elevation to yard with
round-headed dormer fronting internal lift. 30-pane
sash and case windows and piended slate roof.
Engine house facing entrance to yard from North Lindsay
St at end of 1874 mill. 2 round-headed windows separated
by band course from doors below. 1 window now blocked by
brick lift shaft. Oculus in gable. Fine hammer beam roof.
Cast-iron beam in wall over passage for gearing to mill.
Fireproof interior: 2 rows of cast-iron columns carry
cast-iron beams, brick arches and wrought-iron ties, well
handled at gusset. Wooden collar-beam roof with inadequate
head room in side aisles formed by short cast-iron columns.
Timbers clad in sheet-iron, lathe and plaster. Timber roof
to tower.

Statement of Interest

Mill was founded in circa 1833, rebuilt after an 1873 fire

for J Henderson. Power was transmitted via gearing at

junction of 1874 and 1881 mills. That the mill was one of

the few to be designed by architects, not engineers is

shown by the quality of the tower and the mediocrity of

the roof.

Now Night-club, public house and part being converted to


External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.