This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8701 / 55°52'12"N
Longitude: -4.295 / 4°17'41"W
OS Eastings: 256494
OS Northings: 666484
OS Grid: NS564664
Mapcode National: GBR 0BH.FG
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.0Q18
Plus Code: 9C7QVPC4+22
Entry Name: University Gate Lodge, 6, 8 Dumbarton Road, Glasgow
Listing Name: 10 Dumbarton Road, Maggie's Centre, Former Western Infirmary Gate Lodge
Listing Date: 2 August 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375898
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32866
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Circa 1870 and late 19th century. John Burnet senior with an addition by J J Burnet; Single storey and attic asymmetrical Scots Baronial lodge, with tower (probably above stair) to centre. Red sandstone ashlar, now mostly rendered. Base, string and eaves courses. Crow stepped gables to S and W elevations.
W (entrance) elevation: doorway in re-entrant angle of single storey wing to right, narrow window flanking to left; shallow pitched porch roof. Advanced single storey and attic, gabled bay to left with chamfered angles at ground, corbelled to square above, window to centre at ground floor, narrow windows to chamfered angles (window to left blocked). Attic window to centre. Round-arched pedestrian gateway abutting porch to right, decorative cast-iron gate, round-arched pediment above cornice flanked by ball finials. Round, ashlar gate pier to left with conical cap.
S (Dumbarton Road) elevation: advanced gabled bay to left with chamfered angles at ground corbelled to square above, tripartite window at ground, bipartite attic window. Single storey wing recessed to right with tripartite window to centre; crenellated parapet. Facade extended to right incorporating round-arched pedestrian gateway and linked to gabled gateway with round-arched opening. Cast-iron gates.
E elevation: doorway to centre; bipartite window to left. Single storey and attic gabled bay to right with tripartite window to centre at ground, bipartite attic window above. Modern flat roofed extension to right.
2-pane sash and case windows (many now boarded up). Grey slate roof; dormer with half-piended roof to E, and with flat roof to N; ashlar coped skews and skewputts to gables. Crenellated tower to centre of roof with stacks rising at angles; broad ashlar stack abutting to N.
Interior: not seen.
This building seems to have been built as semi-detached lodges for the Western Infirmary and Glasgow University. From the design, there is no doubt that it formed part of J Burnet Senior's designs for the Western Infirmary of 1870; the chimney detail at the back of the tower looks like the work of J J Burnet. Part of Kelvingrove Park West B group, comprising Partick Bridge over River Kelvin, Partick Sewage Pumping Station, Anderson's College, The Snow Bridge, 2-4 Dumbarton Road Sunlight Cottages, University Main Block, Art Gallery and Museum and The Cameronians Monument.
Other nearby listed buildings