This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0302 / 56°1'48"N
Longitude: -3.3978 / 3°23'52"W
OS Eastings: 312988
OS Northings: 682807
OS Grid: NT129828
Mapcode National: GBR 20.S4M3
Mapcode Global: WH6S3.SP5J
Plus Code: 9C8R2JJ2+3V
Entry Name: Royal Hotel, 34-40 High Street, Inverkeithing
Listing Name: 34, 36, 38, 40 High Street
Listing Date: 19 December 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 379547
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB35098
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Inverkeithing and Dalgety Bay
Traditional County: Fife
Circa 1670-1680. 3-storey and attic, 6-bay, rectangular-plan tenement adjoining 19th century, 3-storey, 3-bay tenement (formerly Royal Hotel) to N. Later additions to rear connecting both buildings; interior linked at upper floors. 17th century block (S): rendered; painted margins; box dormers; plain pub and restaurant fascia. 19th century block (N): painted ashlar, rybats, stone cills and quoins to W; rubble to N; rendered to E. Full-height round stair tower to rear.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 17th century block: 2 central doors; plate-glass window and restaurant entrance with fascia to right; 2 large multi-paned timber windows with pub fascia to left. 1st floor windows to 3 right-hand bays (openings to left probably blocked). 6 2nd floor windows. Small central box dormer with bipartite window; larger flanking box dormers of similar design. 19th century block: central canopied doorway; flanking windows. 3 windows at 1st and 2nd floors.
S ELEVATION: adjoins No 42 High Street.
E ELEVATION: multi-storey extensions emanating from centre; full-height stair tower to right. Irregular fenestration; box-dormers to 17th century tenement.
N ELEVATION: 3 small ground floor windows to left (formerly larger openings).
Predominantly plate-glass in timber sash and case windows; 12-pane timber windows to dormers. Pitched roofs (steep pitch to 17th century block); grey slates; straight stone skews; gablehead and ridge stacks (tall stacks, thackstanes and circular clay cans to 17th century block).
INTERIOR: well to front of 19th century building plan, re-built and converted into coffee table. No other original features remaining.
These buildings (comprising private dwellings, a pub and a hot food take away) are listed together as they have become integrated, possibly when they were formerly occupied by the Royal Hotel. The 17th century block to the S displays a steeply pitched roof and small window openings typical of burgh buildings of this date. In addition, Samuel Greig (1735-1788), Admiral in the Russian Imperial Navy during the time of Catherine the Great, was born in late the 17th century building. Greig began life in the merchant service and entered the Royal Navy rising to the rank of lieutenant. In 1763, Russia made an application to Britain for the loan of some officers to help her in the remodelling of her naval armaments and Greig was one of the officers selected. Admiral Greig acted as commodore of the Russian fleet during the war with Turkey in 1769 and was also the designer of the fortifications at Cronstadt. The Inverkeithing man served the Russians with great distinction and was honoured with a state funeral. A commemorative plaque to Greig is fixed to the exterior of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings