This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0703 / 56°4'13"N
Longitude: -3.4611 / 3°27'39"W
OS Eastings: 309140
OS Northings: 687351
OS Grid: NT091873
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PGDZ
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.TP18
Plus Code: 9C8R3GCQ+4H
Entry Name: 7 Canmore Street
Listing Date: 10 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394271
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46887
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
Muirhead and Rutherford; 1912. 3-storey; 4-bay; rectangular-plan; semi-detached; former gas offices incorporating ground floor shopfront (for showroom). Stripped Edwardian Baroque design with broken-bed segmental pediment with flanking pilasters to principal (N) elevation and oeil-de-boeuf window to W elevation. Polished ashlar principal elevation over ground floor of channelled polished granite; red brick W elevation (partially harled) with sandstone ashlar dressings; coursed sandstone rubble to E side. Moulded cornice to ground floor and eaves to principal elevation; cill band and lintel band to 2nd floor. Moulded architraves to 1st and 2nd floor windows to principal elevation; bracketed cills to those to 1st floor.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: large entrance to left bay; replacement 2-leaf timber door set within wooden screen incorporating rounded fanlight. Fascia board above flanked by pairs of rounded granite brackets. Refurbished shopfront set back slightly to right; recessed central entrance with replacement glazed 2-leaf timber door; full-height shop window over granite base to either side. Window to each floor to each bay above; those to wider outer left bay have central stone mullion and are joined by vertically connecting architrave; those to central bay to right are also joined by vertically connecting architrave; flanking 2nd floor ones have aprons. Flanking pilasters and broken-bed segmental pediment (with Borough coat of arms at centre) to wider left bay.
W ELEVATION: altered with most openings blocked. 2-light mullioned window to outer left to 1st and 2nd floors; oeil de bouef window to right of that to 2nd floor.
15-pane timber sash and case windows to upper floors of principal (N) elevation. Piended grey slate roof. Coped wallhead stacks to E and W sides (respectively of sandstone and red brick); round cans. Original cast-iron downpipe with decorative hopper dated '1912' to right of principal elevation.
INTERIOR: not inspected (1998).
Has a well preserved Edwardian street elevation.
Two blocked entrances in the cellars of No 1 Canmore Street are thought to lead to a buried medieval passageway, or vennel, which may extend in an easterly direction as far as No 29 Canmore Street. Little detailed evidence is currently available, but there may be two distinct underground areas, known as 'Between the Wa's' and 'The King's Sewer'. The structure is understood to follow a course which lies underneath the properties at Nos 1, 7, 25, 27 and 29 Canmore Street (see separate listings). There is also a stretch of abbey precinct wall (between Nos 21 and 25 Canmore Street) which is a scheduled monument.
List description updated June 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings