History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Errol Village, Station Road and North Bank Dykes, the Schoolhouse (Former Female Industrial School) Including Boundary Walls

A Category B Listed Building in Errol, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.3928 / 56°23'34"N

Longitude: -3.2113 / 3°12'40"W

OS Eastings: 325322

OS Northings: 722940

OS Grid: NO253229

Mapcode National: GBR 27.14JF

Mapcode Global: WH6QG.NL11

Entry Name: Errol Village, Station Road and North Bank Dykes, the Schoolhouse (Former Female Industrial School) Including Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395584

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48177

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Errol

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Carse of Gowrie

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Kinnaird

Description

J, JM and WH Hay of Liverpool, 1855; building 'reconditioned' 1925. Tall single storey and attic, 3-bay, gothic schoolhouse with porch and corbelled oriel, on ground falling to E. Snecked rubble with polished ashlar dressings. Raised base and eaves courses. Pointed-arch doorpiece and trefoil-headed windows with raked cills. Stone mullions and chamfered arrises.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: bay to left of centre with steps and bootscrapers up to gabled porch with boarded timber door, decorative ironwork hinges and ribbon carving in gablehead worded 'ALL THY CHILDREN SHALL BE TAUGHT OF THE LORD', small pointed-arch light to each return bipartite window to right and 2 small bipartites above breaking eaves into dormerheads. Bay to left of centre with large tripartite window and relieving arch.

S (NORTH BANK DYKES) ELEVATION: tall gabled elevation with small window with basket-arched ogee-headed moulding giving way to incised panel 'This Building for a Female Industrial School was erected through the Exertions of the Rev John Caird minister of the Parish of Errol aided by many friends. Opened February A D 1836.' Corbelled, 4-light canted oriel above.

N ELEVATION: 4-light window to ground with bipartite above.

W ELEVATION: tall single storey former schoolroom projecting at centre, full-height shouldered stack (raised in brick) piercing eaves at outer right.

Mostly diamond-pattern timber lights; 4-light window to N with 4-pane glazing pattern to each light; opening casements plate glass; 6-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case window to ground S. Graded grey slates. Coped rubble and brick stack with cans. Stepped ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts.

BOUNDARY WALL: coped rubble boundary wall.

Statement of Interest

Former school to W, now the Community Centre, is listed separately (see North Bank Dykes). Conceived as an educational opportunity for girls of the parish to receive training in the arts of womanhood, the Industrial School was opened in 1856, under the guidance of its first teacher Miss Euphemia Pugh. Mr & Mrs Drummond of Megginch were benefactors, holding two fund raising bazaars in the castle grounds. The school remained independent until joining the School Board in 1914. Taken over by the Education Authority in 1918 and subsequently housing the Errol School Infants' Department, it was finally closed in the mid 1970s. The present owner thinks internal alterations were carried out during the 1930s.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.