This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9465 / 55°56'47"N
Longitude: -3.1902 / 3°11'24"W
OS Eastings: 325767
OS Northings: 673250
OS Grid: NT257732
Mapcode National: GBR 8PH.9T
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.ZS1P
Plus Code: 9C7RWRW5+JW
Entry Name: 8, 9, 10 Bristo Place, Edinburgh
Listing Name: 8, 9, 10 Bristo Place and 3 Bristo Port
Listing Date: 15 October 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395611
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48211
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
Earlier 19th century with later 19th century shopfront. 4-storey tenement with narrow bowed corner, 4 bays to Bristo Place, 3 bays to Bristo Port. Droved ashlar, painted to ground. Continuous cornice at ground floor; cill band at 2nd floor, projecting cills at 1st and 3rd floors, eaves cornice and blocking course. Stop-chamfered, shoulder-arched openings to shopfront. Blind windows in centre bay to ground and outer right bay at 1st and 2nd floors at Bristo Port.
3 BRISTO PORT: 3-storey, 3-bay commercial warehouse to side. Droved ashlar, painted. Crane hoist doors at 1st and 2nd floors to outer left bay. Timber door, upper half glazed, with small pane glazed fanlight. Faded painted business name to whole elevation.
Mostly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Fixed single pane casements and modern glazed door to shopfront corner. Timber door with fanlight to number 9. Piended double pitched roof to No. 8, 9 and 10 Bristo Place, pictched roof to 3 Bristo Port. Grey slates. Corniced wallhead stack and ridge stacks, circular clay cans.
INTERIOR (seen 2001): some cornicing, fireplaces.
A good prominently sited corner tenement block with good later 19th century shopfront terminating the streetscape. The building has served as a commercial premises (china merchants) since c1850. 3 Bristo Port is of a different date to 8-10 Bristo Place but internally linked at ground floor and cellar.
Bristo Place, originally named Bristo Street, was the principal route south out of the city of Edinburgh from Bristo Port. Bristo Port, a fortified gateway associated with the Flodden Wall, was built in 1515 (and was presumably demolished in 1715 in common with other ports). The base of the wall is still evident in Bristo Port as some 40ft as the outer wall of a tenement.
These tenements were possibly constructed on the site of the George Inn (shown on a 1784 plan of Edinburgh by Kincaid) a coaching inn situated just outside the Bristo Port. A narrow open space survives on the E side, possibly a survival from the George Inn
(List description updated at re-survey 2011-12.)
Other nearby listed buildings