This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7682 / 55°46'5"N
Longitude: -4.1632 / 4°9'47"W
OS Eastings: 264384
OS Northings: 654881
OS Grid: NS643548
Mapcode National: GBR 3W.9NQ5
Mapcode Global: WH4QV.08SV
Plus Code: 9C7QQR9P+7P
Entry Name: 144 Maxwellton Avenue, East Kilbride
Listing Name: 144 Maxwelton Avenue
Listing Date: 20 February 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396072
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48669
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride Central North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Late 18th century. 4-bay, single storey and attic cottage. Painted rubble. Cornices to all openings (one over door missing).
SW ELEVATION: entrance door in 2nd bay from left; single windows in other bays; 3 attic dormer windows; small central one with bracketed eaves.
4-pane sash and case windows. Slate roof.
B-Group with 101, 103-105, 107-111, 115-121, 123-127, 129, 181, 106, 110, 114-118, 136-140, 142, 146 Maxwelton Avenue. Until 1740, the area of Maxwelton was called Hogsmuir - a reference to the livestock market that was held in the area. Between 1740 and 1750, the first weaver cottages were built in the area and during the eighteenth-century a small village developed, which fiercely guarded its independence from East Kilbride until the mid-twentieth century. The handloom weavers owned their cottages outright but paid a small feu-duty to the Maxwells of Calderwood, after whom the village was named.
Other nearby listed buildings